87 ET 77 Militant

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a restriction on access times imposed so progress has been a little slower this week, especially with the random weather.

Removed the the old chevron boards to reveal more surface rust than usual on & around the stabiliser leg cylinders so removed all that & am edging my way around the off side now...

What a great thread, and a lovely truck. Is that air powered thing a sanding/Grinding tool?

Managed a couple of hours after work this afternoon. Needle gunned another wheel rim (just visible above the shadow), top side locker, foot step area & step. Whilst putting the new, and last ever, tax disc in I found what I assume to be some previous owners of the truck in South Yorkshire if anyone knows them? Decided to display it in the vacant disc holder.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

There was a cargo version, slightly longer wheelbase and all LHD. I believe these went to Africa on release, however I have seen a picture of one in the UK in preservation (on this site, page 10 of: AEC Militant mk 3 Gallery). I have also seen a mention of an armoured command vehicle version, but have never seen any pictures or been able to find any other info. It may have been planned but never put into production. There were approximately 200 recovery trucks produced.

See here http://www.jedsite.info/transport-mike/mike/militant_series/militant-series.html

what a beast this must have been, could do with air con in mine.

Bottom image has this caption but appears to be different to the top photo, seemingly same FV number though...

"FV11061 Armoured Command Vehicle, A.E.C. 6 x 6 - 150 Built between 1943-44 and still in service in BAOR till the late 1960'sThese vehicles had a more roomy working compartment, equipped with radio sets, typewriters and map tables, while the earlier 4x4 was more of a 'radio shack'"

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed Trevor, those Mich tyres definitely grip your ribs & back getting under there. Space for taking the wheels off is limited unfortunately. Is well worth it when the fresh paint goes on. The refurbished jerry can holder & oxy cabinet missing from the top deck are almost ready too.

Regards

I have you and few other people to thank as I have resisted the dreaded "take-apart-itis" disease with one of my vehicles and will be following your bit by bit approach to achieve an end result but keep my vehicle capable of running and moving all the time.

Grand job, love the tyres, that is my fave tyre pattern, regardless of age appropriateness.

Keep on going!

R

• 3 weeks later...

Just downloaded the vehicle card for my truck, bizarrely it spent time at CVD Hilton - I now live on the former site of the same depot. The aerial shot shows the remains of the depot today, it used to be much larger before the housing estate. If anyone can shed anymore light on the info contained on the card I would be grateful. Was one of the REME depots in Bridgend? Was Aston Down the airfield of the same name?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just downloaded the vehicle card for my truck, bizarrely it spent time at CVD Hilton - I now live on the former site of the same depot. The aerial shot shows the remains of the depot today, it used to be much larger before the housing estate. If anyone can shed anymore light on the info contained on the card I would be grateful. Was one of the REME depots in Bridgend? Was Aston Down the airfield of the same name?

Hi Nick,

39 Comd Wksp was at Bridgend and 42 Comd Wksp was Liverpool. I am sure Bridgend closed in the late 1980's.

Aston Down was a vehicle disposal point at one time when MoD held auctions, before the likes of Withams, etc. It had been a RAF airfield.

Thanks Degsy, I've been passed a contact for a truck exporter in Cannock which I will follow up. We ordered a new curtain for a 7.5t at work costing £300 recently so looking for secondhand initially.

Quality tarps don't come cheap, we were lucky enough to come across 2 which were manufactured to fit the open side of portable buildings when in transit.