87 ET 77 Militant

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few more bits done whilst the sun was out;

1. Tidied up the wiring for the new Britax beacon.

2. Continued with the red oxide.

3. Checked operation & lubricated the spade anchor - is this meant to drop under its own weight without the hydraulics engaged? With them engaged it appears to move up & down fine, hydraulic oil needs topping but is not drastically low.

Also, does anyone have any photos they can post or email showing the interior rear section of the cab please? What I assume to be a radio mount & battery box directly behind the engine cover & passenger seat have been removed in mine. Any measurements would be appreciated too. Many thanks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Few more bits done whilst the sun was out;

1. Tidied up the wiring for the new Britax beacon.

2. Continued with the red oxide.

3. Checked operation & lubricated the spade anchor - is this meant to drop under its own weight without the hydraulics engaged? With them engaged it appears to move up & down fine, hydraulic oil needs topping but is not drastically low.

Also, does anyone have any photos they can post or email showing the interior rear section of the cab please? What I assume to be a radio mount & battery box directly behind the engine cover & passenger seat have been removed in mine. Any measurements would be appreciated too. Many thanks.

Here are some pics of the arrangement on my truck, also the passenger seat the back of which folds forward to make a stool for the gunnerDSCN1504.jpg.

Dimensions of the chequer plate are as follows:

Width: 27 1/4''

Front to back: 17 3/8''

Depth of vertical part at front: 5 1/8''

Height from top of bonnet to top of chequer plate: 8 3/8''

As far as the ground anchor goes, once it is lowered under power you leave the valve in the neutral (centre) position so it will dig in and find its own depth. I haven't tried to see if it will lower itself under its own weight in the neutral position, but keep your feet out of the way just in case!

Battery box 2.jpg

Passenger seat 1.jpg

They come up on eBay from time to time. I need one for my Saracen, but aren't in any great hurry. As they were issued pretty much unchanged from at least WWII to the 80s, they're pretty common.

Cheers,

Terry

Done a bit more on the Militant this week and have acquired a Swindens vice for the rear vice mount from a chap called Bryn in Loughborough. He has a ready & varied stock of restored & unrestored vices of all sizes. If you need one please pm me for his number.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

More work over the weekend;

1. More red oxide on the recovery gear, this section taking ages
  2. Adjusted up the rear brakes aside from one which the adjuster is seized
  3. Found air pipe broken which we think feeds air assistance for handbrake
  4. Fuel tank sender removed as dash gauge inop

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hello RadioMike,

Unfortunately yes it is, thus far I have used Wickes Red Oxide on the N/S body but swapped to the deeper red of Johnstone Leyland paints (5 litre £45.71 vat incl). I have made sure the coating is as thick as it can be without spoiling the finish and have been lucky so far with some areas exposed for up to 4 weeks.

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/product-range/product.aspx?product=Quick_Dry_Zinc_Phosphate_Primer

I plan to acquire https://www.cromwell.co.uk/MTL9845110K unless I find something more suitable.

Iain,

If only it could live in that workshop! Usually lives out front. I have my works workshop two next door when this one is busy.

Regards,

Nick

An eventful afternoon when it stopped raining and the sun came out.

A nut used to secure an olive to an air pipe slipped from my Dad's fingers and found its way straight down the nearest drain. Drain cover completely jammed shut so had to use the crane & ratchet strap to open it. Then the nice task of sifting through all the junk to find it, which we did.

Air pipe then fitted correctly & more needle scaling and red oxiding took place.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Had a restriction on access times imposed so progress has been a little slower this week, especially with the random weather.

Removed the the old chevron boards to reveal more surface rust than usual on & around the stabiliser leg cylinders so removed all that & am edging my way around the off side now...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had the V11 Tax reminder through and it has taken me less than 2 minutes via my iPhone to renew the free RFL duty for 12 months. stage 3 of the process asked me to confirm exemption from testing & plating and I only required the 11 digit number from the V11 for the process - quick & easy.