Ferret B60 woes

MiketheBike

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vintage 1980 compression tester, displays incorrect pressure is PSI and Bars. All offers considered ;-)

Well, the new compression tester shows cylinders 1 thru 5 at 80 psi, and 6 at 90psi

Squirting some oil into the cylinders made no difference...exactly the same reading.

I changes the plugs, as they were pitch black. I wonder if it does just need a decoke (redex?), or do you think the valves need taking out and bedding back in?

I need to get that fuel filter out of there as it is just annoying me now, I cannot connect the fuel line into the normal fuel feed from the tank as there is not enough room with the bend in the fuel line. I am taking it all down to Pirtek tomorrow and they will make me up some fuel lines using the correct fuel filter.

Does anyone know what thread these are? I thought they would be BSP, but it has "enots" on the fuel valve, which I have been told is a marine specific connection?

Mick

Mick,

I changed all the brake pipes in my Ferret, and all the Brake, Power Steering and Fuel pipes in the Fox. I didn't have a problem getting bits, they were all standard sizes. I bought rolls of pipe and bags of connectors from a truck brake supplier so I am fairly sure they're not marine specific connectors!!

Chris

Chris,

I have tried a few places now, and they all plead ignorance (I have been trying hydraulic hose/connector companies...I have even brought the fuel changeover tap with me!)

do you have the name of the supplier? Did you use a pipe flaring tool to do the ends of the pipes?

Cheers

Mick

Mick,

The place I got them from was a small company near where I live, they can get pretty much anything. If you look in the parts book it'll tell you what size and thread the connectors are. We used a pipe bender and a flaring tool, it was a pretty easy job, the worst part is bending the pipes to fit. I replaced the brake pipes in my Ferret with the engine in place, that was a nightmare. It took about 2 evenings work each side to get the pipes connected as I had to feed them through straight and bend them to fit though the drain hole under the engine...!

Pickering Brakes & Clutches

Bridge St Works, Bridge St, Langley Mill, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire NG16 4EE

Tel: 01773 530639

Chris

The engine revs freely, although a little rough at slow revs. In lower gears, it gets up to 3000+rpm easily, but struggles to accelerate/hold speed when pushed in 4th and 5th.

There do not appear to be any flat spots.

Mick

I might be off track here as I do not have the manual to hand but the B60 is a low compression engine so 80 - 90 psi could be "normal"

given your original symptoms, when you say "struggles to hold speed" do you mean road speed when driving or engine revs/speed?

If road speed could this be transmission problems rather than engine problems?

What condition are 4th and 5th gear bands in, how much band adjustment is left?

I assume you fluid flywheel is full of course

Cheers

John

Hi John,

it is road speed and engine revs...if you see what I mean.

The engine revs freely and can get up to 3K+ revs in 4th, but then it struggles after that. I must admit it seems to be running better now, but not sure what I should expect from it. Maybe I need an experienced ferret driver to drive it and give me their opinion ;-)

I have beer and doritos

Mick

Mick,

Try checking the circumference of the tyres, if there is more than a couple of inch's between them a lot of power will be taken as one or more will be wanting to cover a grater or lesser distance than the rest. I had a similar problem with my Saladin when I first got it on the road, 1 tyre was 11.00 x 20, the other 5 were 12.00's :| Took us over week to realise, then it became obvious why there was a black tyre mark on all the roads we’d driven along :whistle:

Mick,

If you can't find any of those connectors local to you let me know, I have some I cut off the old pipes I scrapped, so I can probably help.

I've never had any of the carb icing problems but mine did encounter a few problems on the way back from Beltring last time I drove it there. It wouldn't go any faster than 45mph and was really struggling up the hills. I changed the points, plugs and condensor and it was totally transformed, the last long run I did was to Kemble and I was overtaking all the trucks on the motorway! :whistle:

Chris

mmm..all good points. That other thread makes interesting reading!

I will give it a longer run tomorrow (I did change the plugs today) to see if getting it nice and hot makes any difference. I would assume dropping some redex into the pots and leaving them overnight can only do some good?

I am assuming that over a 1 mile stretch I should be getting up above 35mph?

Chris, I appreciate your offer of the connectors. I will speak to the guys at Pirtek tomorrow to see what they can do.

Cheers

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

I got some hoes from Pirtek after all that. They are mainly used for hydraulics, but they do the job. Also fitted the correct fuel filter and tap, so that fuel starvation caused by the fuel filter out of the equation (priming the fuel pump is a mare....god knows how squaddies with decent forearms ever do it when a shrimp like me struggled!!).

I am getting a bit closer (I hope) to my power problem...there was all sorts of sh*t in teh carb, especially in a non-return valve at the bottom of the carb. I replaced the two diaphrams for the accelerator jets. It seems a bit livelier now, but still lacks full on power.

Also, the economy device on the side of the carb, from what I can make out provides a fair amount of fuel for full power. The diaphram in that appears to have turned into cardboard, and there was fuel behind the diaphram. I just got a new one and will fit that at the weekend....fingers crossed!

almost got it nailed!

The new diaphram in the ecnomy device made a difference, but I also noticed that the pin in the Altitude device was stuck. Looks like it had been adjusted, and remained pushed down into the carb. Managed to yank it out and clean it up so its moving freely now.

Its all running tons better now. Gets up to 40 quite easy on my local roads.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll check out the wheel sizes tomorrow to ensure they are all the same size though.

Mick

• 2 months later...

Mick. Is the fuel fresh or been hanging around for a while? Did it run ok once or has it been like that since you had it? The condenser that you replaced was it a brand new one or NOS, as they are often leak? The plugs your are using are they RSN13P they foul easily (unless you are using electronic ignition, if you use Rover plugs RSN12Y they foul up less easily.

I'm going to try RSN12Y's in my Ferret what's the correct gap :dunno:

I'm going to try RSN12Y's in my Ferret what's the correct gap :dunno:

Lee, 0.75 - 0.8mm but with Jolley electronic ignition because there is such a good spark I think it can be increased to 1.0 - 1.14 mm.

When I get fouling up it was due to leaving the choke out longer than I should have. I solved this by disconnecting the choke. If its not been run for a few days, I prime the carb from the David pump. Before start up I give two pumps on accelerator pedal then start up & keep foot off pedal for a good half minute. Then away she goes.

If its not been run for a few days, I prime the carb from the David pump. Before start up I give two pumps on accelerator pedal then start up & keep foot off pedal for a good half minute. Then away she goes.

Where about's is the hand pump on the Ferret? I've never been able to find it on mine. :?

Richard