RIP Clive Dunn

marvinthemartian

So long as we have Dads Army, we will have Clive Dunn in our midst. Only the Brits could make a film that makes us all look silly and a fumbling lot to boot, you either like or hate the programme, I found it to be compulsive viewing, not only do I find it funny and entertaining....... but I fear that it contains a modicum of truth about us. May he rest in peace.

I met Clive Dunn a couple of times; the last being about five years ago when he came to the Dads Army Museum collection at the Bressingham Steam Museum a couple of miles from where we live. His eyesight was already failing him then and he was having to wear very dark glasses to see anything.

Back in 2000, their was a major reunion of the the Dads Army cast held in Thetford, Norfolk, where they filmed much of the series and I attended this in conjunction with the Norfolk military vehicle group. I actually sat down with Clive Dunn that sunny Saturday and had lunch with him in the grounds of the town council building. He held a very articulate conversation and when he found out what my name was, he signed by Dads Army book by writing "We Clive's must stick together! - Don't Panic - May 13th 2000"

Also present that day were Dads Army creators Jimmy Perry and David Croft, Ian Lavender (Pike), Bill Pertwee (Warden), Pam Cundell (Mrs Fox), Frank Williams (The Vicar), Eric Longworth (Town Clerk) and BBC Producer Harold Snoad. Sadly David Croft also died in recent months, which was very sad as he was a man I hugely admired and also a good customer of mine. The BBC did an excellent documentary on his life entitled 'You Have Been Watching.'

Some of you will be familiar with the Dad's Army episode called 'All is safely gathered in' which revolves around the story that the platoon have to help bring the harvest in and all end-up getting drunk on Godfrey's elderlower wine! Jonesy looses his trousers in the threshing machine and Mainwaring sandwiches are ruined! This was all filmed in 1972 (Series 8) on the farm next door to where I keep my Military Vehicles at Bressingham. The farmhouse has hardly changed.

Give em' the old cold steel up there Jonesy and thanks for all the laughter.

I have been involved with a War Memorial display, this Armistice weekend, I set aside one of the display tables to pay a small tribute to our "Corporal Jones". ALL of the public that came today, passed comment on it. Along with his fellows actors he leaves us with pure Television Gold, in the "Dads Army" series.

Thankyou Corporal Jones

Gary

DSC05881.jpg

• 2 months later...