10.50 x 16 Inner tubes for British split-rim wheels.

I need some new inner tubes to fit to the tyres and wheels as above.

Firstly - does anyone know where I can get any unused tubes to specifically fit the 10.50 x 16 tyres and wheels please ?

Secondly - I have been told by a stockist of ex WD tyres that the 9.00 x 16 tube is fine to use with a 10.50 tyre. Is this in fact the case or should I really be looking to fit a 10.50/11.00 x 16 tube ?

Any leads on the whereabouts of a set of tubes or advice on the suitability of the 9.00 tube ,which should be available ,will be gratefully received.

David Belcher.

Good news is 9 X 16 tubes are quite easily available.

But the real question is whether the smaller 9.00 tube will work satisfactorily in the larger 10.50 tyre.

Another item I will probably need are some flaps. Same question - are there any about specifically for the 10.50 x 16 and if not will a 9.00 x 16 flap do the job ?

Normally OK to fit one size smaller but never fit a size larger or you will get a crease which will rub and burst

So - is a 9.00 x 16 tube fitted with a flap considered close enough to fit to a 10.50 x 16 wheel without any ill effects or should I continue looking for NOS 10.50 x 16 tubes ?

Its an important question because any creep on the tyre will pull the valve and deflate it. I had a rear tyre deflate on Sunday whilst running at 40mph on a straight road and by the time I felt it the tyre had overheated and cooked itself.

Edited by David B.

No, I woudn't risk it. It seems just as easy to get a larger tube. I'd also look for new tubes rather than NOS. Rubber don't like being left about. If a big tyre goes no matter what speed it can definitley ruin a lot of people's days. The beauty of split rims is that they are east to fit new tyres, provided! You take some basic precatuions.

Edited by Tony B

No, I woudn't risk it. It seems just as easy to get a larger tube. I'd also look for new tubes rather than NOS. Rubber don't like being left about. If a big tyre goes no matter what speed it can definitley ruin a lot of people's days. The beauty of split rims is that they are east to fit new tyres, provided! You take some basic precatuions.

Any leads please on the tubes and flaps ?

Any commercial tyre place should be able to help.

No Tony - any commercial tyre place can not help. They either roll their eyes and say "its years since I saw that size" or if they have a vested interest (ie 9.00 x 16 tubes in stock) they will say "no problem to use the smaller size". I'm trying to get an impartial and educated opinion.

Anyone ?

No Tony - any commercial tyre place can not help. They either roll their eyes and say "its years since I saw that size" or if they have a vested interest (ie 9.00 x 16 tubes in stock) they will say "no problem to use the smaller size". I'm trying to get an impartial and educated opinion.

Anyone ?

Hi David,

Hope the following link is of use to you;

http://www.bigtyres.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=344&Itemid=2

If the valve is not correct for the rim, you can get these changed at your local tyre dealer

Hi David,

http://www.bigtyres.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=344&Itemid=2

If the valve is not correct for the rim, you can get these changed at your local tyre dealer

As always - thanks Richard. I'll give them a call later on and let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

David.

I'll ask Phil where he got his from. I'm sure that some bus tyres use a suitable tube.

Ah hem ... you have mentioned your friend Phil before, in the context of tyres for his QL........... they are 20", David is after 16" tubes...............

:n00b:.

Edited by Richard Farrant

Hi David,

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I contacted these people today,once to enquire and later to order. On both occasions I found them most helpful and the two different blokes I spoke to were clearly very knowledgeable, with experience of split rim wheels and I suspect a grey hair or two !!

When discussing the merits of straight or cranked valves and tube size one of the blokes broke off to speak to their "technical" man on two occasions, ringing me back a second time when I queried the man's original recommendation.

To cut a long story short the recommendation was for straight valves (as fitted to the vehicle) but using the 10.00 x 16 tube because apparently the internal volume of a Dunlop Trak Grip type tyre on a split rim wheel and using a flap is nearer to a 10.00 tube.

I've gone with them and ordered a couple of tubes @ £18.60 + VAT. Carriage was £8 something, no matter how many you order at a time.

Interestingly the second of the two blokes was completely au fait with the Dunlop Trak Grip and thought that the moulds for 10.50 x 16 had gone to Australia and the 9.00 x 16 to Malaysia. If the moulds were still in existence he thought that a batch would have to be of around the 2000 quantity - he's checking.

Edited by David B.

Interestingly the second of the two blokes was completely au fait with the Dunlop Trak Grip and thought that the moulds for 10.50 x 16 had gone to Australia and the 9.00 x 16 to Malaysia. If the moulds were still in existence he thought that a batch would have to be of around the 2000 quantity - he's checking.

Hi David,

Glad that the link was of good use to you.

Your piece about the 9.00-16 Trak Grip moulds going to Malaysia is entrierly true, they went to Simex Tyres who were a Dunlop subsiduary. They were available in limited quantities in the UK until around 2005, when Simex came under Continental Tyres and import stopped. I had been to the Simex European HQ back then and saw a brochure for 11.00-20 Trak Grips Runflat as well as 9.00-16, but they were for military orders and no doubt the price would have been out of our reach.