Mk3 Morris Quad C8 No.5 Body restoration

DaimlerBob

Hi All,

I am helping my friend, who doesn't have internet access, locate any manuals/pictures of a Mk3 Morris Quad C8 (body number 5).

He has already restored the chassis and has just fitted the engine and gearbox, but we would love any diagrams/photos of where every else fits!

The body is being restored too. The vehicle was converted to a tow truck at some point, but will have it's original bodyshape fitted back on.

Are there any records on the Morris Quads?

Our other problem is that we don't have the chassis plate, just many boxes of bits, but we did find a stamp on one of the body parts: 2401 C8 FWD

The engine number: N041564

Cheers

Dave and DaimlerBob

DSCF1688.jpg

DSCF1695.jpg

Is that a workshop or an operating theatre? I'm very envious.

Morris information is difficult to find. We found details of our C9B SP Bofors vehicle at the Tank Museum and I think they've got Quad records too. I'm sure somebody else on here will be able to give a definitive answer on this.

I can let you have a copy of the workshop manual on disc and I've got a spare copy of the Groucho Publishing reprint of the Driver's Handbook. Neither of these gives any detail on the body but they are invaluable for the mechanical side.

There's a useful book, "Army Wheels in Detail: Morris Commercial C8 Quad" which contains good photos, and there are quite a few photos on this forum. There are also some very helpful FAT owners on here who will be able to answer every question.

The number 2401 C8 etc looks like part of the chassis number. It should be stamped in full on the rear LH spring mounting, as here:

Copy of Detail 065.JPG

Is that a workshop or an operating theatre? I'm very envious.

Morris information is difficult to find. We found details of our C9B SP Bofors vehicle at the Tank Museum and I think they've got Quad records too. I'm sure somebody else on here will be able to give a definitive answer on this.

I can let you have a copy of the workshop manual on disc and I've got a spare copy of the Groucho Publishing reprint of the Driver's Handbook. Neither of these gives any detail on the body but they are invaluable for the mechanical side.

There's a useful book, "Army Wheels in Detail: Morris Commercial C8 Quad" which contains good photos, and there are quite a few photos on this forum. There are also some very helpful FAT owners on here who will be able to answer every question.

The number 2401 C8 etc looks like part of the chassis number. It should be stamped in full on the rear LH spring mounting, as here:

Hello Ivor,

We looked at the number on the rear LH spring, but it was badly corroded, so we can only see the numbers 2401. I will have to get in contact with the Tank Museum and see if they have any further details.

A copy of the workshop manual would be very useful, I think Bob has managed to get a copy of the handbook already.

I'll send you a pm

• 9 months later...

Quick update:

The Morris is coming along slowly but surely. It's starting to look like a vehicle once again. The engine is running very well and Bob's is fitting the axles and sides on now to see how it fits. Various panels have been on and off and other fabricated to make fit. It will all have a blow over of (hopefully the right coloured paint in time, but for now most bits have been sprayed in left over paint from other projects.

Here's some pictures I took the other day :)

DSC_3087_zps355490c0.jpg

DSC_3090_zps9061fb16.jpg

DSC_3092_zpsfea1e4ab.jpg

DSC_3095_zpsc2ef2fd0.jpg

DSC_3097_zps21ffbc8a.jpg

DSC_3102_zps52818b8e.jpg

DSC_3103_zpsc573263a.jpg

DSC_3105_zpsf14e2265.jpg

DSC_3106_zps114b2332.jpg

DSC_3108_zps87c7e82d.jpg

DSC_3110_zpsf3219b65.jpg

DSC_3111_zpsa15934ae.jpg

I know Bob is also after a set of oil seals. I did a search and it seems that they're virtually impossible to find??

part number is C.5846 (Oil Retainer - outside stub axle) ??

Cheers

Dave (on behalf of Bob)

Ivor what seals did you get?

Gearbox & transfer box seals and one to replace the felt seal in the steering box. I think I got a timing case seal too but I haven't fitted it yet.

All you need are the diameters of the hole that the seal fits in, the shaft diameter and the thickness or depth of the seal. The ones that I got were all very straightforward imperial sizes.

Dave, I've had another look at the parts book and actually it is the swivel ball seal that you're referring to, isnt it?

Dave, I forgot to say how good the restoration is looking. I still can't work out how you keep the place so spotless. It puts me to shame.

Edited by Ivor Ramsden

Thanks all for the kind comments. It's Bob who is restoring it, i'm just a fan of his who has internet access :D

Ivor, it is the swivel ball seals I'm after, but I take it they are unobtainable??

The windscreen will have to be made, but i'm in contact with someone who may be able to cut me some pieces of glass to fit. (Toughened laminate).

I haven't sourced the windscreen frames as yet, but Bob may make his own.

It would be great to see more pictures of Morris C8s with body number 5.

Does anyone know where the oblong plate with the VM number goes??

Cheers

Dave on behalf of Bob Stephens

1944 Morris C8

1944 Mk1 Daimler Armoured Car (underrestoration)

1945 Mk2 Daimler Armoured Car

1952 & 1953 Austin Champs (for restoration)

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

Just a quick update on the progress of my Morris Quad.

It's coming along slowly bu surely and starting to look like a vehicle now ;)

Currently rebuilding the front axle, but am still in need of a pair of ball swivel seals (Morris part number is C.5846 description:Oil Retainer - outside stub axle) the outside diameter is 182mm or does anyone have any alternatives.

Cheers Bob

DSC_3934.jpg

DSC_3958.jpg

DSC_3931.jpg

DSC_3932.jpg

DSC_3935.jpg

DSC_3937.jpg

DSC_3939.jpg

DSC_3944.jpg

DSC_3950.jpg

DSC_3955.jpg

DSC_3956.jpg