Mk3 Morris Quad C8 No.5 Body restoration

DaimlerBob

Hi Bob. Fantastic work. I too am restoring a Quad. A Mk3 beetle back and am also missing the rear body:cry:.

I also had problems getting the swivel ball seals, I even tried to get them made but was unsuccessfully. In the end I used a marine packing seal. It comes in lengths, you cut it to length and boil it in grease. Not sure if its going to work yet but its worth a try.

Keep up the good work. Ross

Just found this thread what a great restoration :D a real credit to bob's hard work and thanks for posting these pics, is there a pic of the quad before restoration work began ? Keep up the good work I'll look forward to seeing the end result which I am sure will be superb.

RR.

Try Barnwell seals in Birmingham. If you have a sample they can usually manufactuer a replacement or recomend a supplier

Sales 0121 429 8011

sales@barnwell.co.uk

I've been using them for industrial stuff for years and they have made me some really obscure replacements in the past. It looks like a great resto.

Try Barnwell seals in Birmingham. If you have a sample they can usually manufactuer a replacement or recomend a supplier

Sales 0121 429 8011

sales@barnwell.co.uk

I've been using them for industrial stuff for years and they have made me some really obscure replacements in the past. It looks like a great resto.

I tried that. The seal I had wasn't good enough for them to copy.

• 1 year later...

Not very good at this posting bit. Any way just thought I would comment on the fantastic restoration. Also in the process of restoring a No 5 bodied quad.

The problem with seals I think I have a solution I have used 16mm O ring.

cheap and easy to replace the size may need to come down to 15mm but it works well and keeps the oil in but think I will add a leather gaiter ring just to keep any muck off the O ring.

Now I think I can post.

I would like to ask a question of anyone with a No 5 body quad. My quad was made in the second quarter of 1944 and was then sent to Italy. It was painted in No2 brown from new inside and out.

So I looked at photos of a second quad on the net and it also has brown paint.

Has anyone else found this?

Its camouflage paint so even though it obvious when you see it, I looked at it for a year and almost missed it it’s everywhere.

Bob