Lynx helicoptor

Dusty

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53516[/ATTACH]

Seen yesterday flying low over my part of North Wales was this Army Air Corps Lynx Mk7 (I think).

Rare to see one of these in this neck of the woods.

I thought we got rid of them all, does the Navy still have a few?

Might just be me or the photo but it doesn't seem to have any numbers on the tail, possibly one sold off?

Edited by MHillyard

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of Lynx still in service, attrition rate seems to be set round serviceability issues they don't like endless head grinding dust !!

We wait patiently for a nice Navy one for themuseum collection.....well maybe impatiently ?????:cool2:

• 5 weeks later...

Plenty of AH7 & AH9A still in service, as well as grey ones. It's highly unlikely that you'll ever see a Lynx released to civilian flying, (apart from the heavily modified G-LYNX rotorcraft speed record holder, now a museum-piece) as they're highly maintenance-intensive to keep flying, and would struggle to meet current standards. They make a comfy campervan on exercises. :)

The number'll be there, on each side.

I thought we got rid of them all, does the Navy still have a few?

Might just be me or the photo but it doesn't seem to have any numbers on the tail, possibly one sold off?

The Navy still have lots in service, they are due to be replaced by the new 'Wildcat' in a couple of years.

Here are some RN Lynx from 2011:

5936239944_19a764fd76_z.jpg

5935681181_414b1c6945_z.jpg

5934723624_c7de19ed21_z.jpg

5935681101_8f592b953c_z.jpg

5987565099_ab7b03b3f4_z.jpg

6095862124_d5b8e9ab8e_z.jpg

Edited by PeteM

I thought that only the naval ones had wheeled undercarriage?

Could they be for operating with carriers??

Its being reported in Flypast that the blue Lynx in Royal Navy colours will join the RNHF (Royal Navy Historic Flight) in the near future and be kept airworthy.

Edited by ferrettkitt

I thought that only the naval ones had wheeled undercarriage?

The AH9 and (latterly 9A with CTS800-4N engines) have been in Army service since 1992. The wheels are supposed to give a performance enhancement by permitting rolling takeoffs from suitable surfaces. In essence, the wheels and oleos were heavier than the original skids and any improvement was negligable. It did make it easier to drag the thing in and out of the hangar.