Spark plugs

No Signals

Question

Is there any resource/reference available, either tradional paper or online, that gives modern equivalents for older sparkplugs? Or is there a source for helping deduce the 'data' for an old plug so you can then set about finding an equivalent modern one?

If there isn't, then might there be a way for individuals to pool their collective knowledge and produce a chart on this site?

Maybe the same for coils?

7 answers to this question

Is there any resource/reference available, either tradional paper or online, that gives modern equivalents for older sparkplugs? Or is there a source for helping deduce the 'data' for an old plug so you can then set about finding an equivalent modern one?

If there isn't, then might there be a way for individuals to pool their collective knowledge and produce a chart on this site?

Maybe the same for coils?

What might be easier is to ask about a specific plug and those of us with old catalogues can cross reference. To chart every plug grade and make would be a heck of a job and many might not be used on forum members vehicles, so much better for someone to ask about a particular engine or plug type.

What might be easier is to ask about a specific plug and those of us with old catalogues can cross reference. To chart every plug grade and make would be a heck of a job and many might not be used on forum members vehicles, so much better for someone to ask about a particular engine or plug type.

Can you help with a replacement for a Champion 7 plug for a Ford V8? There was a Champion K17 suitable (now unavailable) and I beleive the NGK A6 will fit, but haven't tried it. Are there any other alternatives as I am getting problems getting Champion 7 plugs.

Thanks for your help.

Can you help with a replacement for a Champion 7 plug for a Ford V8? There was a Champion K17 suitable (now unavailable) and I beleive the NGK A6 will fit, but haven't tried it. Are there any other alternatives as I am getting problems getting Champion 7 plugs.

Thanks for your help.

Loads of altermatives.

As Runflat mentioned the Green Spark Plug Co website is very good as they list alternatives for each plog.

http://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/champion-7.html

Mike

You are absolutely right Richard, i suppose i was meaning a chart that gave equivalents of the ones most likely found on older military vehicles; rather than an all encompassing list for all plugs. I'm not after any at the moment but have picked up on the fact that Lucas B 12's dont figure anywhere on any lists I've had access to. No doubt there will come a time when I have the need. I'm guessing that the chances are that later post WW2 vehicles might have later model plugs and so equivalents are easier to find. Maybe I should have taken more time to 'word' the original post.

R/F The green sparklug company link looks helpful although typing in Lucas BR 12 didnt come up with any equivalents for me. Still I can see the point in adding it to my 'favourites' as they do have other stuff as well.

I still reckon a bit of a list, added to as and when people locate suitable modern replacements for obsolete ones, might prove useful to owners in the long term.

I would def recommend the guys at green spark plug, they found me a distributor cap when I had exhausted just about every other source, worldwide!!!! It was reflected in the price obviously but well worth it.

really helpful bunch, just give them a buzz or send an email and they will come back to you.