Requirement for continuous insurance cover

I think the "You cannot tax a vehicle without an insurance certificate listing that particular vehicle" was introduced to specifically stop the uninsured drivers from getting their impounded vehicles back - apparently the usual trick was to send a relative to the pound with an "any vehicle" policy, they would pay the fine/fees, collect the vehicle and hand it straight back to the uninsured owner. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Refusing to release the vehicle without proof of ownership, insurance, MOT and tax was intended to stop that.

Dunno how successful it is. I.m also not sure how it works with little brother's motorcycle accumulation (nearly all on nil-value tax discs and a rider policy).

I don't drive, so have no personal experience. (Keep death off the roads, that's my motto!)

Chris.

The following new wording on certificates is being recommended by the Association of British Insurers to combat deliberate uninsured driving.

‘Excluding use to secure the release of a motor vehicle(s) other than the vehicle(s) identified above by its registration mark, which has been seized by, or on behalf of, any Government or Public Authority.’

This means that if someone has been using a vehicle that is not on the Motor Insurance Database as an insured vehicle, relying on the DOC extension of their own insurance with this type of certificate wording, they would not be able to get the car released from police custody and it would stand a chance of being crushed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the latest FBHVC UPDATES..

Continuous Insurance Enforcement

Uninsured vehicles will be identified by comparing the Motor Insurance Database with DVLA’s Vehicle Database. Where a vehicle is taxed, but apparently uninsured, the MIB will issue an ‘Insurance Advisory Letter’ to the registered keeper advising them of the actions they need to take:

· If not insured, insure immediately;

· If they believe they are insured, contact their insurance provider immediately to check that the Motor Insurance Database has been updated with the correct information;

· Make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) to DVLA so that the vehicle is not included in CIE;

· If they no longer have the vehicle, notify DVLA in writing.

If the keeper fails to undertake one of the above actions and the vehicle remains taxed but not insured, then DVLA will issue the registered keeper with a £100 Fixed Penalty Notice (reduced to £50 if paid within 21 days). Failure to pay the penalty and insure the vehicle could result in court prosecution with a fine of up to £1,000, and the vehicle being wheel-clamped or impounded if found on the public road.

CIE does not replace the laws of driving whilst uninsured; that will continue to be enforced by the police.

This new motor insurance law only applies to England, Scotland and Wales (vehicles registered in Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man are excluded from this law as they have their own registration authorities).

For more information on CIE, please visit http://www.direct.gov.uk/stayinsured

When is CIE being introduced?

The exact date cannot yet be given, but will be in early 2011. Announcements will be made in the press before CIE becomes law.

Historic Vehicle Owners

For historic vehicle owners there are a number of important things to remember.

· SORN – if a SORN is made and the tax disc surrendered because the vehicle is not in use, then the vehicle will not be subject to CIE;

· Pre-SORN vehicles - vehicles which have been kept off-road before SORN came into force on 1 February 1998 are exempt from CIE unless they are brought back into use, in which case they would need to be insured or a SORN made;

· Vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1973 – though the vehicle may have a ‘nil value’ tax disc, it is classed as being ‘taxed’ and a SORN should be made if uninsured and not in use;

· Ask MID - if you want to check your vehicle is recorded as ‘insured’ on the Motor Insurance Database, visit the free service at http://www.askMID.com.

The author has kindly allowed us to print his email address if anyone has any enquiries: ian.davies2@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

You haven’t understood what I am trying to get at :computerrage:

Currently only the driver of a vehicle has to be insured, not the vehicle as per the wording of the RTA.

Therefore if you have a vehicle that is taxed but not insured you are ok so long as you don’t use it, further more it can be used by someone you lend it to if they have third party cover to drive other vehicles.

My question is does this situation change with the new legislation and will the RTA be revised yet again or is it just a DVLA whim.

That would seem to be a legitimate practice that would be stopped with the new rules. In reality how many people keep vehicles taxed and tested (if needed) but not insured for their own use, just in case someone wants to borrow it?

I suppose that if someone wanted to borrow such a vehicle they would have to tax it before using it.

Hold on is this being introduced as a new law, or is it DVLA making new rules up to make money, just like having to re SORN each year which is not law but a DVLA money earner.

Have a look here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696?CID=Continuous_Insurance&PLA=DM&CRE=Furl

First paragraph:

From early 2011 a new scheme is being introduced to make sure that all vehicles stay insured or a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) is made. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) are working together to reduce the number of uninsured drivers

Scheme by the DVLA & MIB, nothing regarding new legislation or being passed through the House of Commons.

Summary:

From early 2011, if it appears from the database comparison that a vehicle has no insurance or no SORN, a letter will be sent to the registered keeper.

If the keeper takes no action, the keeper faces:

A fixed penalty fine of £100

court prosecution and be fined up to £1,000

having the vehicle clamped, seized and destroyed

“If the keeper takes no action” This is the money spinner, there will be a box to tick to confirm the vehicle is not being used, send it back hear no more. Bet lots of letters don’t get delivered to the registered keepers.

Its bad enough being ripped off by the government without these privateers chipping in.:mad:

The following new wording on certificates is being recommended by the Association of British Insurers to combat deliberate uninsured driving.

‘Excluding use to secure the release of a motor vehicle(s) other than the vehicle(s) identified above by its registration mark, which has been seized by, or on behalf of, any Government or Public Authority.’

This means that if someone has been using a vehicle that is not on the Motor Insurance Database as an insured vehicle, relying on the DOC extension of their own insurance with this type of certificate wording, they would not be able to get the car released from police custody and it would stand a chance of being crushed.

If you can demonstrate you are covered for third party loses the vehicle cannot be seized, carry your certificate with you.

Also the police have to have reasonable cause to you having no insurance before they seize, they know the MIB is crap. Be adamant that you are insured; get them to telephone your insurance if they don’t believe you.

• 4 months later...

Well it's arrived (pretty much as per Ruxy's post 53 above). CIE and MID. Not sure it's a big deal for those older vehicles previously registered with a log book but perhaps 'parked up' for donkeys years - suppose it depends whether they've been insured in the recent past which might have resulted in them being put on the MID (see below). (edit - Ruxy's post above clarifies the situation re. pre-SORN vehicles)

The new laws on Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) will start being enforced from 20th June 2011 when the first Insurance Advisory Letters are expected to be issued. It is now illegal to own a vehicle without insurance unless a SORN is in place. The regulations require you to give notice of vehicles to be insured 'immediately'.

Following comparison of the MID and DVLA records, registered keepers suspected to be without insurance will receive a letter and given the following options:

• contact their insurance provider to ensure registration on the MID is accurate
  • update their DVLA record

• declare vehicle SORN (statutory off road notice)

• buy insurance.

Enforcement will only follow if the keeper fails to comply with one of the above and will result in:

• an initial fixed penalty fine of £100
  • their vehicle being clamped, seized and disposed of

• possible court prosecution which carries a maximum fine of £1000.

Key points for you to consider

Please ensure you are aware of CIE and understand their legal requirements. The new law and additional information can be found at
www.direct.gov.uk/stayinsured

It is important that we are notified of vehicles to be removed (e.g. when sold) as well as new vehicles to be insured in order that your vehicles appear on the MID

Registered keepers can check if their vehicle appears on the MID using
www.askMID.com

Edited by N.O.S.

Big Brother has taken one more step towards a totalitarian state.... A few years ago I was run into 3 times in an 18 month period by uninsured drivers. I chose to repair out of my own pocket rather than go through the insurance. It cost a few quid and made me rather angry. However I still prefer this rather than this further complication to our lives.....

I still really confused about all this....I the 16 years i've been driving i have never needed to have a vehicle taxed but not insured.....I have forgot to tax some of them one or twice but never failed to insure one cos the nice insurance people send reminders out.

If the insurance runs out just renew the insurance or sorn it.......If the tax runs out just renew the tax or sorn it....I can't understand the issues it's simple surely to god...:banghead:

Oh and make sure you check with your insurance company before you drive someone else's vehicle as one of my past insurance companies insisted the the vehicle i was going to drive was insured by its owner for him to drive. We were going to collect my mates 101 and i was going to drive it back on my insurance to save money but a quick check with my insurers and they said the 101 must have insurance cover on it for my cover to count. So he insured it as he is much older and i drove it home on my policy. Sounds stupid but thats what happened worth checking with you insurers.

What 'they' don't seem to have thought of, is : I decide to change my car, say. I find the new one, and contact my Insurance Co. who change my cover to the new car. Because I didn't get a good deal as a trade-in, I decide to sell my old car privately. Because my old car is now not Insured, I HAVE to SORN it, even if it has still got say 4 months tax on it.

People have been prosecuted for driving an untaxed vehicle, despite there appearing to be a current, valid tax disc on display, because the vehicle has been SORNed, which apparently 'Invalidates' the tax disc.

Claim the refund on any unexpired tax disc BEFORE declaring SORN. ('They' get enough of our money as it is!)

Where this leaves you if a prospective purchaser wants a test drive . . . . . I guess that's a thing of the past.

What a country.

We are all DOOMED, I tell you. DOOMED!

'Chas.'

What 'they' don't seem to have thought of, is : I decide to change my car, say. I find the new one, and contact my Insurance Co. who change my cover to the new car. Because I didn't get a good deal as a trade-in, I decide to sell my old car privately. Because my old car is now not Insured, I HAVE to SORN it, even if it has still got say 4 months tax on it.

People have been prosecuted for driving an untaxed vehicle, despite there appearing to be a current, valid tax disc on display, because the vehicle has been SORNed, which apparently 'Invalidates' the tax disc.

Claim the refund on any unexpired tax disc BEFORE declaring SORN. ('They' get enough of our money as it is!)

Where this leaves you if a prospective purchaser wants a test drive . . . . . I guess that's a thing of the past.

What a country.

We are all DOOMED, I tell you. DOOMED! 'Chas.'

Don't panic it's really simple....this is what i do when i buy another car. Phone up my insurance people and say i need to collect my new car they will then give me cover for the new car for two weeks while i sell the old car.

I think the AA will give you a months cover for about £25...dead easy and lets you keep the other one taxed insured and ready to sell. I have also never bought a car with tax on it in my life. always had to take the bit of the log book to the post office. Got pulled and but when i explained i had just bought it on the saturday and had the bill of sail and the log book in the car the copper was happy and let me carry on.....