Oil pressure

Jack

Question

I maybe stupid but....

What is oil pressure all about?

I always watch the gauge and I know that it is ok but thats because I have been told that it is ok.

But what is it bad when it is high? I am guessing that it is bad when it is low because it isn't being circulated?! :?

13 answers to this question

Jack,

Basically it is low pressure when bearing are worn, not allowing oil to build up to correct pressure........or if the oil level is to low, through leaks or burning.

High pressure could be obstructions in the oilway, ie sludge, blocked filter, (depending on design of oil system) or relief valve stuck.

Richard

Come clean Jack, what exactly are the symptoms? :? :-)

Actually mate, there isn't any, I was looking at the gauge this weekend whilst I was driving and thinking to myself that the oil pressure was ok.....just because it always reads the same.

Then I thought that I don't actually know if that was good or bad! :cry:

Jack,

When it is started from cold, pressure may be a little high and drop back a bit once warmed up. Unless it is abnormally low or high, I should not worry unduly. You should note now what the pressure is when warmed up and note that so you can then be aware of any sudden differences.

Richard

I quite liked the wartime comments about the Pratt & Whitney radial aircraft engines.....

"The P&W engine should always leak oil. If it doesn't, put some in quick, it's empty!"

Does your oil pressure change with RPM? On my jeep, with the engine at idle, the pressure is low ( not dangerously ), and then picks up to normal as soon as the revs increase.

Steve