WW2 British Vehicle Colours

ajmac

By 1944 what was the base green colour that British manufactured vehicles left the factory in? I am looking for a paint code or a supplier, just so I have some on the shelf. I want it to be correct, I don't want US Olive Drab.

I suppose this is for the Loyd Carrier, it would depend when it was first built.- resprays not withstanding.

First wartime base colour was "Mid Bronze Green" to BS381 0f 1930. and that was the standard base colour until November 1941 when Khaki Brown later classified as Khaki-Brown SCC No.2. was issued. Khaki Brown SCC No.4 was an alternative to SCC No2 during later 1942-43 but both in use depends on the factory and availablity. Khaki Green SCC No15 was authorized as base colour from early 1944 and was also refered to a Olive Drab as Adrian has already said.

Ordering the paint already -that optimism for you:cool2:

Steve

:D The first part I actually bought relevant to my Sherman was a carb flange gasket set.....This was before I had the tank itself. I think starting with the paint beats even that!

Hey! The first part I got was a track pin.... mind you that is only borrowed... the first bit I've actually paid money for is a Workshop manual. That must be at least a little bit logical? :-) Besides I don't want to go any more mad than I already am, if I start at the begining and the end at the same time I'll meet myself in the middle in a couple of years time.

Edited by ajmac

Hey! The first part I got was a track pin.... mind you that is only borrowed... the first bit I've actually paid money for is a Workshop manual. That must be at least a little bit logical? :-) Besides I don't want to go any more mad than I already am, if I start at the begining and the end at the same time I'll meet myself in the middle in a couple of years time.

That's fatal, buy a manual and like it so much you buy the vehicle! :D

• 1 year later...
After April 1944 it was SCC15 Olive Drab which is now BS 381C 298. Prior to that it was Brown SCC2.

Hi all

just checking that for british vehicles BS 381C 298 is the correct code for the "green" top coat on 1944/45 softskins as well?

My Morris needs a tart up as it was originally (not by me) done in NATO Green and I now want to make it look more "correct" and need to order the correct code from my local paint shop

Alternatively does anyone have experiece with paints that use white spirit as the solvent and applying them over old paint that would have used proper (ie pre solvent rules) thinner - or to be blunt, anyone know if the Frank Burberry paints work on top of old paint

Edited by john fox

Look at the code on the label :-

H1/8010-99-224-5482

Probably Clive Elliott will be able to reveal more , I don't know - to me it looks a early NATO type SC.

I do know from where / whom I used to obtain that particular paint. He had some very good connections and in fact a small fleet of WW2 restored vehicles - they were re-painted with it. I seem to recall watching him one day with a rag rubbing engine oil on the surface of a Jeep that had been re-sprayed a few years prior ( authentic , in-service distressing). Of course 1 gallon could be purchased off him for £5 cash. when 1 litre of re-finish would be over £10 , probably every show truck in NE England was glammed by same stuff / means. IMHO there is presently too much rivet-counting on finish coat , encouraged by forums LoL ,, not helped by lack of "quality" solvent based time-expired Ex-MOD paint or genuine manufacture factory sale (blame the Solvent Regs) , . Most of the stuff now on eBay is a rubbish cheapo alkyd - hardly suitable for a good resto. - where you would be better having machinery / Fleet enamel mixed to spec. & take your chance on shade with the RC'ers.

If you are looking at paint I can highly recommend Mike Starmer's books. I've got 3 out of 4 and they've been extremely useful and interesting. He has colour matched paint chips at the rear of each book so you can identify colour or get correct ones mixed up.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?6759-BRITISH-ARMY-COLOURS-by-Mike-Starmer

Apparently there's a colour matched SCC15 available from The Vintage Paint Company, but they're not producing it at the moment (or weren't when I emailed). I've picked up some 381 olive drab from RR's warpaint range in the mean time.

I know there's a lot of rivet counting on the paint side these days, and there would have been a fair bit of variation. That said, the british olive drab looks like a very different green to the more common NATO & US olive drab's. I think the British SCC15 olive drab is a much prettier colour, but that's personal choice (and I'm colourblind so I'm probably seeing it a completely different way to everyone else) :-\.

Edited by Lauren Child

If you are looking at paint I can highly recommend Mike Starmer's books. .

Thanks Lauren but I just need to confirm the paint code – any automotive paint shop can mix it up then and there are plenty near me, but none prepared to match from samples, and I don’t have any samples anyway as my Morris was done in NATO green by the last owner.

Now looking very tried so a perfect opportunity to refresh it with the “correct” shade. That said I have loads NATO green in stock so may just do a blow over with that

If you are looking at paint I can highly recommend Mike Starmer's books. I've got 3 out of 4 and they've been extremely useful and interesting. He has colour matched paint chips at the rear of each book so you can identify colour or get correct ones mixed up.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?6759-BRITISH-ARMY-COLOURS-by-Mike-Starmer

Apparently there's a colour matched SCC15 available from The Vintage Paint Company, but they're not producing it at the moment (or weren't when I emailed). I've picked up some 381 olive drab from RR's warpaint range in the mean time.

I know there's a lot of rivet counting on the paint side these days, and there would have been a fair bit of variation. That said, the british olive drab looks like a very different green to the more common NATO & US olive drab's. I think the British SCC15 olive drab is a much prettier colour, but that's personal choice (and I'm colourblind so I'm probably seeing it a completely different way to everyone else) :-\.

hi ,just seen your chat about the paint colours ive got a reo to repaint ,its all sorts of shades at the moment and i want to get it back to the us mat green , is that the same shade as the nato colour thanks bill dodds

Just while the subject is running,I am having a bit if a Dilema myself with paint colour for the Pheasant restoration.

Please dont quote me on this as I am not 100% sure but from what I can gather 1st Army in Africa used Light stone as paint colour were as 8th Army used Sand colour, can anyone confirm this !

I have attached a really great colour picture of a 25 pdr used by 1st Army in Africa where you can see the gun has been painted Light Stone over drab so in two minds which way to go :nut:

Rob.........................rnixartillery,

3825778347_b8746900f2_o.jpg

Just while the subject is running,I am having a bit if a Dilema myself with paint colour for the Pheasant restoration.

Please dont quote me on this as I am not 100% sure but from what I can gather 1st Army in Africa used Light stone as paint colour were as 8th Army used Sand colour, can anyone confirm this !

I have attached a really great colour picture of a 25 pdr used by 1st Army in Africa where you can see the gun has been painted Light Stone over drab so in two minds which way to go :nut:,

Rob, there's only one answer if you ask me: determine when your Pheasant would have been in use and then buy the book by Mike Starmer corresponding to the time frame and theatre - see the list here:

http://matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/xcamo_starmer

HTH

Hanno