Vehicle mounted weapons shouldn't be a problem at a properly organised event & if the towns police know what is going on, I would say personal deactivated/replica weapons in a public place in a NO!!

Yes, a very good question. Out of respect I took no weapons at all to the Mid Shropshire event in my display this last weekend. I was told by ex. servicemen that they would have loved to hold the SLR again but understood my reason for not taking them along.

Last weeks events has made me think hard about what to do for the next show in two weeks time.

Andy.

As an ex Serviceman myself, my advice is dont do it.

Keep them hidden from public view until you get to where you want to be.

To be absolutely honest it used to sadden me to see 18 stone fat burger munching hogs walking around Beltring pretending to be SAS troopers carying anything that looked remotely like a rifle

Jack

In view of resent events. Whats the position with weapons on vehicles?

Barry

(Our thoughts are with victims and those that have lost loved ones.)

Good question Barry and funny enough I am having a meeting tomorrow night with the Cheif Inspector on this very question so will know more tomorow.

For me I have no problem with weapons as it is all part of the presentation/representation. But as Lee stated in the public place (Dorchester) it could work against us - for me a big part of this is bringing the profile of our hobby to the public at large so that has to be 'managed'.

Good question Barry and funny enough I am having a meeting tomorrow night with the Cheif Inspector on this very question so will know more tomorow.

For me I have no problem with weapons as it is all part of the presentation/representation. But as Lee stated in the public place (Dorchester) it could work against us - for me a big part of this is bringing the profile of our hobby to the public at large so that has to be 'managed'.

Dont forget some of us who are coming cant hide our guns we have to tow them :cool2:

I have two weapons for the static display side of things - M1 Carbine and a Colt 1911.

I wasn't planning on bringing the Colt but I was going to have the Carbine chained in it's holder in the cab of the Ward.

Would this count as being vehicle mounted?

I know technically - no - but it doesn't come out of it's holder and it remains attached to the cab, in it's correct holder and chained for security.

It's not a massive issue if it doesn't come with me but it looks rather smart in the place it was designed to be in.

If not wanted in the carnival - what about when the public come to the camping area on Sunday to look at the vehicles?

Just want clarification on this one so not to pee off the organisers.

Markheliops

I think on the saturday we are parked in Dorchester in the afternoon on the old brewery site which is opposite the fairfield and market.Its about 5 minutes walking from the main street.It should attract quite a number of punters as not only is it carnival day but veterans weekend in the town.

OK folks,

As promised - just come back from another 3.5 hour meeting with the Chief Inspector (known as Les to his friends :cool2: Bodge will now pretend to know him) and 20 others :sweat:

In a nutshell - weapons are fine on the road run BUT they have to be covered HOWEVER - this means that the end of the tank barrels or other 'weapons' need to have just a piece of canvas that covers the end of the barrel - anything will do just as long as the 'public' can see that it isn't ready to be fired. I know I know but it was a good compromise. So I can't see any problems in any of us doing that.

Once we are in town we can take them off:D as then they are on 'display'.

Tomorrow I have to arrange a meeting with the Traffic Inspector and his team to brief them on our route. This is so all the police are fully aware of when and where we will be. I didn't have to do this but out of courtesy I thought it best.

I want this running as smoothly as possible for us and for Dorset. The whole of the town and the local authorities are going nuts for this and they too want it to go well for us.

So folks - you are the stars of the show and I just want to make sure you all have one hell of a time - it really is unique and you had better enjoy yourself as I am working my n*ts off here!!

Going to bed now - I am knackered.

Tanked up in Dorset.

Out.

Edited by Jack

I think on the saturday we are parked in Dorchester in the afternoon on the old brewery site which is opposite the fairfield and market.Its about 5 minutes walking from the main street.It should attract quite a number of punters as not only is it carnival day but veterans weekend in the town.

Pete is spot on.

And we have the most amazing site for us. It is a huge development of the old brewary in town and one of the apartments is the first million pound apartment in town. They are also taking the boarding down that is around the site for us so we have prime position for the public to come and see us:D:D

It doesn't look like this now but it is getting there!

http://www.brewerysquare.com/index.cfm?page=1

I'm bringing the Harley, but either putting an umbrella in the scabbard(To shield from the sun of course!:-D) or just the butt of the Thompson.

I usually portray a US correspondant, so don't usually bother with the weapon. But for this event, i think a weapon,or part thereof is an essential part of the portrayal....

Also, with regards to the police and the route we take, what are their thoughts/opinions on us, the outriders. Will we be required to stop public traffic or other such duties? Or, are we just to help show the route the armour has to follow?

Cheers matey,

Manny

we wont need buses theres plenty of troop trucks going

You don't want to face a load of Wombles late for their lunch club/ charity shop rummage/ cream teas belive me.. It makes an opposing army look wimpish. Have no doubt about the damage Granny with a rolling shopping trolley can do! :shocking:

can I add to this thread that at this very moment (Sunday 10.50pm) The cubed one is using my sewing machine to make a 'muzzel muff' for the howitzer. I had to endure the flippin sewing machine chomping away whilst watching big brother. The things I put up with.....................................................................

hope you appreciate this Jack:D