R Cubed's 105 M2-A1 Howitzer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R Cubed that is a brilliant job and without wishing to sound rude - who cares what tyres are on it. There is no-one on here who isnt a little envious of the job you have done.

Good luck to you and I cant wait to see it.

Job sorted then

That is a very nice gun I bet that looks a treat behind the Jimmy,,,, Any pics of the new paint job

Boomboom

Got some pics of the new paint on the Truck and Gun. Taken from A and E 2010...

Parked up by green after a little convoy to a local village

Our home from home with the gun keeping a lookout !!!!!!!!!

Neither are pristine show winners, but trying to portray a used and functional look, I don't mind the mud and dust it makes them look just right.

IMG_4820r.jpg

IMG_4757r.jpg

Edited by R Cubed

R Cubed that is a brilliant job and without wishing to sound rude - who cares what tyres are on it. There is no-one on here who isnt a little envious of the job you have done.

Good luck to you and I cant wait to see it.

Cant agree more. There is quite a few bits still to do on the gun but this will involve a major strip down probably over the winter but stay tuned as I will post the strip down and repairs to do.

Personally I don't care what people think, I want to show my vehicles as I want to, and that is all that matters. I know several things are wrong but it gets to show and I can talk the talk to the public trying to answer their questions as best I can in a friendly and informative way.

Here's a nice shot of Rosie the Riveter restoring the 105mm barrel (well actually it's Mary, in 1942....) -[ATTACH=CONFIG]45065[/ATTACH]

So it should be Mary the measurer .....

I will see if I can get a pic similar over the winter as I will have to have the barrel off at some stage...

Cant agree more. There is quite a few bits still to do on the gun but this will involve a major strip down probably over the winter but stay tuned as I will post the strip down and repairs to do.

Personally I don't care what people think, I want to show my vehicles as I want to, and that is all that matters. I know several things are wrong but it gets to show and I can talk the talk to the public trying to answer their questions as best I can in a friendly and informative way.

...and by God he can talk!!!!!!!

Got some pics of the new paint on the Truck and Gun. Taken from A and E 2010...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45120[/ATTACH]

Parked up by green after a little convoy to a local village

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45121[/ATTACH]

Our home from home with the gun keeping a lookout !!!!!!!!!

Neither are pristine show winners, but trying to portray a used and functional look, I don't mind the mud and dust it makes them look just right.

Jesus that looks sweet.

You have my way of thinking dude ??? If you are portraying a moment of time in our history

then portray it as that moment in time As this is what you have succeeded in doing and looks just perfect to me .

I see a lot of kit restored to a very high standard and is very nice to look at and drool over if you like an MV to look like it just came off the asembly line.

Personaly i like the used look.

Great setup ( perfect )

boomboom

Hey there matey your statement in your signature is similar to Smiths vans and trucks......I guess being a Glos boy you have seen them around!

I drive to Bristol from Glos every day and always see a Smiths van or truck :cheesy:

Done work with Paul (Smith) over the years.....Good bunch of lads...Good Company.

Hey there matey your statement in your signature is similar to Smiths vans and trucks......I guess being a Glos boy you have seen them around!

I drive to Bristol from Glos every day and always see a Smiths van or truck :cheesy:

Done work with Paul (Smith) over the years.....Good bunch of lads...Good Company.

Hi Wayne

Been on hire to them a few times ( goodboys is right )

They are a big company now with loads of big iron shame they dont get in to the Green iron a big crew like that could do a lot for the MV world in this part of the country.

boomboom

aka Pete:cool2:

Looking at rcubed 105mm that is one nice setup

• 5 months later...

An update to this thread.

This winter I will be stripping the gun right down to repair the remaining damaged parts caused by the Greek gas axes.

Barrel will be removed to get the sledge off to be able to get the elevating arcs off so they can be repaired.

all hydro/pneumatic recoil mech will be stripped and repaired, hopefully to return it to operational use.

Both gun sight mounts will be stripped and thumb wheels repaired to working condition along with the bubble levels.

Pics will follow soon once I start.

sssssssshhhhhhhhhhh I only let her think she is the boss :undecided:

Anyway got both telescope mounts off, repair of these to follow at a later date.

In taking these off, one of the barrel pivot/sledge nuts needed removing, see pics below, These have succumbed to more action of the Greek gas axe.

Size of thread appears to be 1 7/8" x 16 I will need two new ones or old uncut ones at least, does anybody have some nuts to possibly turn down to match or some new ones ?

IMAG0550r.jpg

IMAG0551r.jpg

IMG_5255r.jpg

Edited by R Cubed

RIGHT go to your room NOW!

You are a bit out of date is it not supposed to be "Go to the naughty step"

Once he has finished rebuilding the howitzer in the dining room/kitchen/living room/bathroom, the bath is a good place for soaking large parts, smaller parts parts can go in the dishwasher. the house will need redecorating agaim. So why do it twice?

Mike

PS: It is my mothers fault she let us rebuild carbs on the kitchen table and heat chain grease on the cooker. Perfectly OK as long as you remember not to do the sausages and bacon in it.

You are a bit out of date is it not supposed to be "Go to the naughty step"

Once he has finished rebuilding the howitzer in the dining room/kitchen/living room/bathroom, the bath is a good place for soaking large parts, smaller parts parts can go in the dishwasher. the house will need redecorating again. So why do it twice?

Mike

PS: It is my mothers fault she let us rebuild carbs on the kitchen table and heat chain grease on the cooker. Perfectly OK as long as you remember not to do the sausages and bacon in it.

Quite right, the bath often gets used to find pinpricks in 7.50x20 inner tubes works great, some times even need to bring in the compressor to inflate the tubes a bit more.