LST are any left

agripper

I know there are a number of smaller landing craft of different types presrved but was unable to find if there are any LST's in preservationm. I seem to recall there was was in the 90's that was in danger of being broken up but cant find out what happned. Did it make it into either a dry dock museum or a floating museum?

Dont know of any in this part of the world but this

http://www.lstmemorial.org/

got quite a bit of attention at the time it was taken back to the States.

I always reckoned they might have found one closer to home, as in the James Bond film Live and Let Die there appears to be one in the background in the 'boatyard' at Slidell where part of it was filmed. Assuming this had not already gone to the scrapman.

I wish that Britain would look after its heritage the saem way the US do, they seem to have examples of all there Navy and I know they have more space and little history to speak of so are trying to make up for that but still preserve what you can before you dont have it. Saddly we never seem to learn from history though and continue to make the same mistakes.

I did my National Service in 1959/1960 and a bunch of us crossed the Channel from Marchwood to Normandy in a RASC Landing Craft - there were 20 Land Rovers with Trailers and one Bedford RL full of 4 1/2 Gallon Jerry Cans of fuel for us to use whilst we were in France. This was an Exercise called "Cherry Brandy".

From memory, I think the RASC had three of these Landing Crafts at that time and I think two of them were actually named - Arromanche and possibly another one was Ardennes. I am not sure after all of these years.

We were loaded by crane at Marchwood but the Landing Craft went into the Caen Canal to unload - turned through 90 degrees in the Canal and opened its front doors so that we could drive out onto the Canal Bank.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these vessels? I wish I took more notice at the time. I remember it being very slow - we left Marchwood at about 3.30 in the afternoon and were only ready to unload at about 7 or 8a.m. the following morning.

Tony

I did my National Service in 1959/1960 and a bunch of us crossed the Channel from Marchwood to Normandy in a RASC Landing Craft - there were 20 Land Rovers with Trailers and one Bedford RL full of 4 1/2 Gallon Jerry Cans of fuel for us to use whilst we were in France. This was an Exercise called "Cherry Brandy".

From memory, I think the RASC had three of these Landing Crafts at that time and I think two of them were actually named - Arromanche and possibly another one was Ardennes. I am not sure after all of these years.

We were loaded by crane at Marchwood but the Landing Craft went into the Caen Canal to unload - turned through 90 degrees in the Canal and opened its front doors so that we could drive out onto the Canal Bank.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these vessels? I wish I took more notice at the time. I remember it being very slow - we left Marchwood at about 3.30 in the afternoon and were only ready to unload at about 7 or 8a.m. the following morning.

Tony

They were the LCT Mk VIII and were operated by 20 Maritime Regt RCT. They operated out of Helensburgh on the Hebrides/St Kilda run in the summer (late 60s/early 70s). I remember Ardennes, Aromanche, Akyab and L4041 Audemer. They were originally built for the invasion of Japan (never happened) and were then a bit long in the tooth. I remember a matelot dropping a spanner, which went through the tank deck to disappear in the spaces below. Very comforting when you're in the Atlantic halfway between South Uist and St Kilda! I used to have a picture of one on the beach at St Kilda, but that sort of disappeared on one of my moves.

I also moved on exercise from Marchwood to Rendsburg with 3 Div in 1973 (COMLANDJUT) with an LSL (Sir Lancelot) where we drove on at Marchwood, but craned off in Germany. Interesting experience - craning off after a stormy North Sea crossing and then deploying into the field.

I remember when La Collete power station was being built in the early 1960's. The commutator was brought over to the island in an LST. She spent the night on the beach and my Dad took me down to see it. When you are about four or five, they are BIG!! Wasn't the nick name Large Slow target?

Just checked the date. The build was completed 1965. I think Wynns did the road haul, biggest thing ever to move on the island.

Edited by Tony B

They were the LCT Mk VIII and were operated by 20 Maritime Regt RCT. They operated out of Helensburgh on the Hebrides/St Kilda run in the summer (late 60s/early 70s). I remember Ardennes, Aromanche, Akyab and L4041 Audemer. They were originally built for the invasion of Japan (never happened) and were then a bit long in the tooth. I remember a matelot dropping a spanner, which went through the tank deck to disappear in the spaces below. Very comforting when you're in the Atlantic halfway between South Uist and St Kilda! I used to have a picture of one on the beach at St Kilda, but that sort of disappeared on one of my moves.

I also moved on exercise from Marchwood to Rendsburg with 3 Div in 1973 (COMLANDJUT) with an LSL (Sir Lancelot) where we drove on at Marchwood, but craned off in Germany. Interesting experience - craning off after a stormy North Sea crossing and then deploying into the field.

Most interesting - thank you! Your "dropped spanner" brought back another memory of that trip. Outward bound it was a lovely sunny calm day and as we sped across the Channel at all of three knots, a group of us were on the deck, up in the bows watching all the other shipping taking avoiding action to miss us - I got the impression that the LST was not very manouverable. And from our position on the deck just above the front opening doors, we could look down inside the doors and could see the sea pouring in between the doors. We wondered if the crew were aware of this and thought it sensible to mention to one of them as he passed by that we were taking water and did they know? He looked down at the stream coming in, shrugged his shoulders and said that it should not be happening - and went on his way.

Perhaps these vessels were not in the best of condition!

There is a story in a very old book called Send Another Signal, and I can't remember the authour. Attributed to an LST of normandy during the gale that hit after D-Day. Following the antics of the vessel the shore signalled

'Are you alright: Query'

The reply is reputed to have been

'Yes, fine, and as it steamed off 'My next performance will include the Indian Rope Trick'.

Bit of checking Authour Jack Broome.

Two books Send Another signal and Make another Signal. Anyone know of copies please let me know.

Edited by Tony B

I remember that Akyab had a longer ramp retrofitted, and on one resupply run I was manning the ship/shore radio on St Kilda (call sign "56" and it was a Marconi Fulmar/Guardian IV set-up for the techno-purists!), and heard the CO of the LCT, who unfortunately had a lisp, announce that he wasn't going to wait for the tide, but come in straight away as he had a twenty-seven foot "wamp" . I spent days wondering what a wamp was and why someone would want a 27ft one!

Certainly RASC in my day and not RCT!

Tony

originally RASC, later RCT (in my day, I'm old but not THAT old!). They were certainly in use in the early 1970s. I believe new ones are now in service, with similar names, but I'm not sure how many, and who "owns" them (RLC of RFA)

I know there are a number of smaller landing craft of different types presrved but was unable to find if there are any LST's in preservationm. I seem to recall there was was in the 90's that was in danger of being broken up but cant find out what happned. Did it make it into either a dry dock museum or a floating museum?

This is the last LST as far as I am lead to bieleve from what the group who tried to raise money to buy it, the ship was built after the war so too late to take part in the D-Day landings now waiting for the gas axe.. Unfortunatly no takers on buying it see above link for more info.

Yes it is still there rusting away.

Also see: http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/ships_register.php?action=ship&id=713. I agree tragedy if it goes to scrap, but we do have such a poor record of preserving twentieth century warships in this country, HMS Belfast excepted. One only has to look at the near loss of HMS Cavalier in the 80's and 90's, the current travails of HMS Plymouth, the recent apparent failure to repatriate HMS Whimbrel as a memorial to the Battle of the Atlantic, and the failure to save a Flower Class Corvette thirty or so years ago, when the Canadians managed to do it, to name but a few examples. At least it appears clear that HMS Caroline will be preserved when its naval use comes to an end next year - what it is important is that it ends up at Portsmouth, where it can be cared for in perpituity, and that it does not end stuck in Belfast rotting away, as has happened to HMS Unicorn in Dundee, once the initial enthusiasm has waned and without the visitor numbers in Belfast to give it a viable future. But LCT 7074 must be saved as a unique memorial, but not in Liverpool, given the continual failures of large ship preservation on Merseyside.

We do seem to be mixing up LSTs and LCTs rather promiscously on this thread!

We do seem to be mixing up LSTs and LCTs rather promiscously on this thread!

Easy to do ! They do basically the same job - an LST is really a large LCT and an LCT a small LST.

I was on an LSL, which is really an updated LST with optional extras.

I think the only people to use LSTs these days are the Russkis -and most of theirs were built in Poland.

• 2 weeks later...

I did an exersise in 1985 /6with CVRTs loading in Southhampton and unloading in Scotland onto mexi floats. I think that was the last times LSTS were used tactically. I do remember one with its bowdoors open actually on the beach. I was also tremedously sea sick whilst circleing in the Irish sea the night before landing

• 1 month later...
I did an exersise in 1985 /6with CVRTs loading in Southhampton and unloading in Scotland onto mexi floats. I think that was the last times LSTS were used tactically. I do remember one with its bowdoors open actually on the beach. I was also tremedously sea sick whilst circleing in the Irish sea the night before landing

That was probably Marchwood, and the LST an LSL. I did a North Sea crossing from Marchwood to Rendsburg (Germany) in the LSL Sir Lancelot in a Force 8 gale (1973) . Never again!

great link, shame about their grasp of history "The LST program was developed in response to a need for armored infantry divisions in invasions by sea. England’s failed invasion at Dunkirk prompted Prime Minister Winston Churchill..."

Unbelievable!

I would like the guy who wrote all that deliver alecture on the history of WW2. We could all learn something!

Unbelievable!

I would like the guy who wrote all that deliver alecture on the history of WW2. We could all learn something!

maybe he was watching the newsreels backwards! Or maybe he was confused by our propaganda, turning a retreat/evacuation into a sort of triumph. (which, of course, it was!)