Mystery Object No.127

fv1609

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plan view of a vehicle ? The round items on the drawing look like cupolas that hinge forward, with three periscopes each.

No ideas other than that :confused:

Yes it is vehicle, Richard. Yes periscopes, but I'm not sure how/if cupolas hinge.

Is this the projected design of an armoured vehicle from Scammell's designer, Oliver North, dated around 1934 ?

Nope. (Oliver North? I'm afraid the only one I know of gained some noteriarty in the US Army)

Thats easy, its the early breached hull improvised repair plug Mk1 A

It was designed to be driven into breaches in armoured vehicle hulls by sledge hammer and was manufactured with a tapered end to fit typical shell hole sizes of known enemy rounds at the time. It was available for various theatres in various sizes ranging from heavy machine gun round sizes up to main armament and was proposed to be issued in variety packs.

It was barbed (possibly not shown on drawings) so that it was a one time use item.

The practicality was never realised and taken by the troops as a joke as the issue date was 01 April on the packaging.

Robin

Thats easy, its the early breached hull improvised repair plug Mk1 A

It was designed to be driven into breaches in armoured vehicle hulls by sledge hammer and was manufactured with a tapered end to fit typical shell hole sizes of known enemy rounds at the time. It was available for various theatres in various sizes ranging from heavy machine gun round sizes up to main armament and was proposed to be issued in variety packs.

It was barbed (possibly not shown on drawings) so that it was a one time use item.

The practicality was never realised and taken by the troops as a joke as the issue date was 01 April on the packaging.

Robin

Despite the comprehensive reasoning I'm afraid its not one of those.