WW1 truck lamps

Great War truck

Thank you for the replies. That looks like an Oldfield Dependence light, so perhaps that is what was fitted... but certainly the one in the colourised photos of the Clayton isn’t one of these, but yes, basically in the same location. 

That Foden is earlier than mine, as the handbrake is external to the cab, but a very interesting photo and not one I’ve seen before with the sheets rolled up etc. 

Thank you for these replies. 

To the best of my knowledge none survive, the oldest survivor in preservation was built in 1919.

slightly off topic, but yesterday I stripped the front axle and spring, perch bracket etc ready for some planned (and slightly unplanned!) work, and found quite a lot of Khaki paint in hidden places where it had been missed over subsequent repaints. 

David

• 1 year later...

Strange picture of this citroen halftrack along a Belgian canal towing barges. The picture is from begin '30s but it still has carbide lamps. Maybe the electric gave not enough light along the tow path at night? And it's  not a good idea to drop in the canal.

chen_belge.jpg

Edited by Citroman

On 3/18/2021 at 9:48 PM, Citroman said:

Strange picture of this citroen halftrack along a Belgian canal towing barges. The picture is from begin '30s but it still has carbide lamps. Maybe the electric gave not enough light along the tow path at night? And it's  not a good idea to drop in the canal.

chen_belge.jpg

The last batch of Miller acetylene lamps was supplied to the War Dept. in 1924, they are easy to identify as the year was embossed into the top vent,  along with the WD and arrow. Unlike electric lamps the brightness could be adjusted by Turning up the gas.

• 1 year later...
On 11/23/2009 at 11:50 PM, Charawacky said:

The sidelight brackets shown on Tims pics appear to have supports for both sides of the lamps, is this so either hand of lamp can be used or did military lamps have dual fixing?

Here is a lamp which is most certainly a headlamp as indicated on the label.

The manufacturer is H&B and was most probably supplied just pre-war.

Does anyone know the corresponding King of the Road Lucas tail lamp to the 724 side lamp? as I am looking for a replacement.

Some interesting lamps here: http://www.prestonservices.co.uk/lamps.htm

Tom

Headlamp Rear.jpg

Headlamp Front.jpg

H&B Headlamp.jpg

One of these I have herited and is for sale (The Netherlands) 

DSC01314.JPG

DSC01315.JPG

DSC01316.JPG

DSC01317.JPG

DSC01318.JPG

DSC01319.JPG

DSC01320.JPG

DSC01321.JPG

DSC01322.JPG

lamp 2.jpg

lamp.jpg

On 1/6/2015 at 4:28 PM, andypugh said:

I have used carbide lighting extensively, it is still not quite a defunct technology for caving use.

Here, for example, is a brand-new caving light set: http://www.trolluk.com/outdoor/head-touches/item/86-acetylene-cavers-lamp

The flame is quite cool (takes ages to burn through a rope, luckily) and the gas is pungent enough that you are unlikely to build up a dangerous concentration without noticing.

The best light for vehicle use uses two impinging flames, and is very bright without any need of a mantle.

It's a lovely light to cave by, though I haven't yet tried driving with it (I am at the moment part way through making a lighting set for my 1921 Ner-a-Car, which has dual electric / acetylene lighting).

You can get carbide from various sources still, including Amazon and eBay.

One cautionary note, only use brass tube and fittings, NOT copper.

The copper reacts with the acetylene to form a mild(ish) explosive compound liable to go bang if knocked.

Not quite correct for here I know but I think interesting enough to qualify by default. 

Recently bought a job lot of “stuff” with a couple of gems hidden amongst it all. This lamp being one of the gems which was still sealed in its ministry box . 

54CF2986-918D-4848-99AA-1C9265FC1B91.jpeg

EB6F3410-4C4C-4F94-8B47-3BD5824B2253.jpeg

2C19AB63-452F-4407-B3C5-616706EA0F2C.jpeg

2FD90023-E879-4944-B1C9-9AE8724468A6.jpeg

35ED6291-7132-492A-8BCB-89EA10C4F82B.jpeg

• Like 3