Calling Herts/Beds/Bucks MV owners

Eastblock

This is just an idea I have and it may be entirely impractical but bear with me.

I suffer from a lack of suitable storage for my MV's so they live outside. I want to add to the collection but as you have have seen in another thread I started, parking on the road may not be the best idea.

I'm in Hertfordshire, not far from Luton. I was wondering if other MV owners in the area would be intersted in joining me in renting an industrial unit for storage and perhaps some workshop facilities as well. The cost of doing it alone is prohibitive. Depending on the size of vehicles and the size of the unit it should be possible to keep the rent per person per month well below £100. By comparison I pay £9 per week for a council garage.

Being a foreigner I don't know that much about rules and regulations in the UK but I assume that some sort of society would have to be formed? Some rules around notice period, payment and deposit would also be needed.

Such a scheme may exist already in this area? If so I would be interested in joining if possible.

If there is no interest perhaps someone would be kind enough to let me know how/where I might find storage for a couple of MV's.

Best regards,

Michael

The problem will not be affording the rent, but explaining to the Council that you do not have to pay "business rates" on the industrial unit. They will expect rates to be paid, at the same rate they levy business' that are making a profit and can just about afford to pay.

You might look to rent Farm buildings, depending on how discreet you are, there might not be the same burden of paying rates.....

you just contact your council and ask the question....not sure you will get a rates free deal but you may get a substantial discount

To avoid paying business rates, you may have to go down the route of applying, via the planning procedures, for a change of use "from idustrial",. and whether the Council give permission depends on what is written in the "local plan".

But if you are only renting, then it is the landlord who probably should be doing this, and he may be unwilling, since his chances of renting again should your agreement with him end, would depend upon the outcome of another planning application, for a change of use back to "industrial" All very problematic.....

I am a MVT member since 2006. Dunstable is not far from me - I'm in Harpenden. What MVT section are you in? Do you have contact details for Gordon Beale?

Oh, and are there any meetings in the area? I'd like to meet some fellow MV enthusiats. I've got zero social life at the moment and my colleagues think I'm a nutter because I like old East Block MV's.

Edited by Eastblock

Have a look in your copy of Windscreen. Ther is a meet advertised in there for John Marchants farm. Whole page ad. Gordons number is there. Bring your vehicle up to his farm in a few weeks, be good to see you. Our area isnt maybe quite as active as some others, but there are a lot of local shows attended. Gordon did mention one down near Dunstable a week before Johns farm meet, wont be going to that though as we are of on family hols for a week. Gordon is the man to speak to about meetings though.

Mike is pretty spot on with that. Also with the fact with asking a farmer.

Because of the collapse of our agricultural industry - certainly our diary industry(thank you CAP), they are many many 'disused' farm buildings available and at a good price too!

Mike is pretty spot on with that. Also with the fact with asking a farmer.

Because of the collapse of our agricultural industry - certainly our diary industry(thank you CAP), they are many many 'disused' farm buildings available and at a good price too!

Wasn't there some problems recently with local/district councils clamping down on farmers who rented out space in their outbuildings as this too constituted an "change of use"????