Search issues

lowfat

I s there a way to stop searching avatars and signatures when looking for something?

I am sure that joe blogs is proud of the fact that he owns a tiger 2 steering wheel but its a real pain when your looking for something and totally irrelevant.

Grumpy john

While we're at it, can you please update your indexer to allow 3 character search terms? It's bloody annoying having to use google for articles about things that use a three letter acronym on this site; something that the military tends to do a lot of.

Cheers,

Terry

While we're at it, can you please update your indexer to allow 3 character search terms? It's bloody annoying having to use google for articles about things that use a three letter acronym on this site; something that the military tends to do a lot of.

Cheers,

Terry

MySQL fulltext search has a 4 character minimum word length by default. This can only be changed on the server level. There are also a number of 'stopwords' that are considered common and not indexed.

You can use google with the site keyword - e.g. google for "pig site:hmvf.co.uk" -that restricts google to just find responses from a particular site. (handy on a lot of websites that don't have search functions :) )

Alas it doesn't get away from the OP's problem of finding all the vehicle descriptives in people's signatures. I removed them from my signature block a while back after similar problems.

Edited by Lauren Child