Mystery Spirit Flask

rubbatiti

A friend of mine has a small quantity of these flasks and has no idea of their original purpose, anyone any ideas?

They're all chrome(?) plated and carry a number (this one is marked '15') the letters 'MB' and the WD broad arrow stamp on their base. The top of each one is marked 'METHYLATED SPIRIT-MINERALIZED'

They measure approx. 3.5" long, 4.5" high and 2" deep.

ajbspirittin0001.JPG

ajbspirittin003.JPG

ajbspirittin002.JPG

Edited by rubbatiti
punctuation!

I had one of these & think I sold it via the forum 5+ years ago. At the time it stimulated some posts about its purpose. But I'm afraid I can't recall what the conclusion was. (Although the arrow doesn't necessarily mead WD)

De natured Alchaol , or Methelayted Spirtit on UK is indeed used as the primer for Tilly or Bialladin lamps and Parrafin , (Kerosene) stoves. It burns easily and heats the jets to vaporise the Parrafin before it is ignited. It can also be used as a fuel in its own right for unpressurised cookers and such items as Surgical Sterilising equipment. Is he selling?

Edited by Tony B

• 3 weeks later...
Saw one of these at W&P together with a smaller container for oil. Apparently for a Vickers Machine Gun.

Umm? There we are with our Vickers camoed up and dug in, poised to suprise the nefarious enemy. With a large bright metal contatiner, flashing like a light house! :nut:

Umm? There we are with our Vickers camoed up and dug in, poised to suprise the nefarious enemy. With a large bright metal contatiner, flashing like a light house! :nut:

Yeah, medics used meths in burners for sterilizing their surgical equipment.

I've got a steriliser somewhere. it has to simple unpressurised burners, similar to what you see to keep plates warm with. They use meths . Tilley also nade a specific Surgeon's lamp which requires meths to start. If he wants to sell one!

Good stuff! I've had another query about if any of them are for sale too, will ask my friend when I see him next, don't see why not though as they're only gathering dust in his workshop at the moment!

Hi

If one spare I am looking for one for my PARA medics display please.

Thanks

..saw my friend today (Although I do have more than one honestly!:D) and he's willing to part with them as they're not much use to him really!

He has 5 of the flasks in total, one or two have scruffy plating on the tops but no dents or other damage, absolutely no idea what they're worth though?

If anyone's interested they're more than willing to make an offer if they 'pm' me.