More Range wrecks

Joris

What are the Tracked Shed's used for? :dunno:

A strong guess is that they are observation posts to observe and film the impact of the shell on its target. The green one has windows in the side with gantries out of the side for cameras. This range is probably for testing ammunition, rather can a normal gunnery range.

Richard

I thought you might like to see some of the pics from my ranges album. I've picked a selection of rarer items, so you don't have to wade through endless shots of Shermans, Centaurs, Churchills etc.... :cry:

First up, the two Grizzlies that were used to make one in Tank Overhaul. I took these in 1987 and 1988

Who's Andy? :dunno:

Anyway......., the Grizzly is a Canadian assembled M4A1 Sherman. Montreal Locomotive Works built 188 from July to December 1943. They followed the Ram on the production line. Only used for training in Canada during the war but supplied to Portugal post war. Ian McGregor imported about 45 in the 1980s and some ended up on ranges.

Actually not that common in the UK now, can think of 9 1/2 off the top of my head.

Adrian

• 1 year later...