Another Norfolk Find

Chev41

Hi All,

I collected this yesterday, I think a running restoration... I said no more after the Chev but its cute with a nice history, apparently was in a John Lennon film among others.

1942 Ford fitted with a Ford 4D diesel have I lost the plot ? Brakes needs doing, front tires blown out. The seller had three days to move it so I did a spur of the moment exchange.Huey 008.jpg

If it came with all the old tyres etc. in the back can you take a look - I'm after a couple of spare CMP 20" wheels.

If the tyres are naff I've also still got two 1050R20 tyres, which while smaller than orginal may get you back on the road and make it easier to move around.

I'm not far away in Cambridgeshire so if you want to pop over and photocopy manuals you're more than welcome. There seem to be a few CMP owners in the area :)

Hi All,

I collected this yesterday, I think a running restoration... I said no more after the Chev but its cute with a nice history, apparently was in a John Lennon film among others.

1942 Ford fitted with a Ford 4D diesel have I lost the plot ? Brakes needs doing, front tires blown out. The seller had three days to move it so I did a spur of the moment exchange.[ATTACH=CONFIG]63037[/ATTACH]

very nice ! post lots of pix !!

I have three good tires in the back on sankey trailer wheels (10 Stud) so I should be Ok thanks, I have put one of the front tires on today and freed of the drivers side brake cyl. I went for a drive around the field in it which was fun. email is down so I cant post anymore pics til later.

It was on ebay for sale but it didnt sell so I exchanged it for my grey fergy tractor, I think a good swap...

Very nice, I think i'm living in the wrong place, could I borrow some of your luck? all I keep finding about my way is 50 cal bullets, will find a b17 buried somewhere on the airfield one day!! if you need any parts for the 4d engine let me know and will see what i can do as have got those engines coming out of my ears! :-D

I know there are probably hundreds of things about her that aren't 'correct' but what the hell....:).

she looks to me that with only a quick blow over from the spraygun and a few decals smacked on....

.....you could hit the summer show circuit! winter is soon enough for a rebuild ....head out on the road !:D

she does look a really great find ...proper envious !:-)

Cross posting to old thread: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?31653-Ex-military-army-lorry-canadian-ford-4wd-truck-chevy&p=317126

Sounds like a great trade (although I don't know what the tractor is worth...). Get it running, keep it in its civilian guise and take it to some shows while you collect the parts to do a proper restoration.

Meanwhile hop over to MLU to learn more about CMPs: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18626

It does have split axles , doesn't it? Does it have a winch in the chassis?

Edited by mcspool

have you had a look at how the 4D engine has been joined to the gearbox as going to have to do this to one of my trucks, its not a chevy but anything similar will be helpful! Tom (the one from mid suffolk light railway do with gmc with dodgy gearbox!)

have you had a look at how the 4D engine has been joined to the gearbox as going to have to do this to one of my trucks, its not a chevy but anything similar will be helpful! Tom (the one from mid suffolk light railway do with gmc with dodgy gearbox!)

Hi Tom,

I am told it was a proper conversion done in the 50s, I will try and get some pics tomorrow if the Rain holds off ! Looks a neat job.... Hope your Gbox is on the mend.

M

This is the CMP that was on Ebay, from the pics on there it seems to be an artillery tractor chassis 101" WB, 20" wheels thats had the body replaced with cab from a cargo truck, be interesting to see more pics

It does have split axles , doesn't it? Does it have a winch in the chassis?

• 1 month later...