My old lathe...

rbrtcrowther

I bought this old clunker of a Wilson lathe about 6 years ago for £50 and have used it quiet a few times. It's better with the four jaw as the 3 jaw was of the self uncentering type, Anyway it dose what i need it to do and for £50 it can sit unused for months if it wants it owes me nothing.

I noticed when i picked it up it seemed to have war department markings and numbers on it i have tried to photograph them but as it came from a boatyard that flooded on the big tides there is a 12" tide line right through the markings!! Just thought it might be ex military thats all.....Any thoughts?

DSC00316.JPG

DSC00312.JPG

Possibly not ex-mil - when I did my apprenticeship with Ford back in the 1970's a lot of the lathes in the Wheel Plant tool room had the broad arrow stamped on them together with WD markings and the legend "War standard"

Edited by ArtistsRifles

The big ones are cheap cos knowone has space for them and they are a pain in the arse to move. By putting a small 3 jaw in the huge 4 jaw i can turn smaller stuff (but it's easyer to go and use my mates boxford)