series three, 2.2 diesel...gearbox upgrade help please

paulob1

Question

Hi guys need help getting an easier cruising speed out of this old girl Its a military 2.2 diesel series 3....I was thinking of a higher ratio final drive so it cruises a bit easier. Any one know how to do this or the best option, will a five speed off a new ninety or 110 fit...etc etc.....

18 answers to this question

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Royal Navy,but they were civi spec,like a lot of there kit.Except the champ of course.

Easiest way out is an overdrive,hard to come by,There is no cheap option.the engine hasnt enough power to pull itself along the rd let alone higher diffs etc.i should know i have been driving one for 34 yrs.Wait till you get fed up with it then buy a 90.:-D

John,

You must have some paitience to have put up with one of those engines for 34 years, I take my hat off to you :saluting:

Well it was in regular use till 91,then used some time every week but not every day.I have had some great adventure hollidays in it and enjoyed turning down large sums of money for the no plate when people have thought everyone has there price.I dont personally see the value in the plate .Its survived two wives and Pat so far:-D when i think about it i have owned it half my life.:shocked: My mum used to call it ,that old army lorry.

I have of course had lots of cars at the same time so for boring trips etc they were used.i have allways up to recently had an old Range rover kicking about.Viking funeral if it doesnt contravene some polution act.:cool2:

thanks guys, its not for me its a friend...but will tell him the overdrive is the way to go...he has been getting people to quote for re-gearing the box and i have told himthat seems a real waste of time, i did tell him about the fact that it likely wont run a higher ratio and he would be wasting his time...but he is determined to try, you know what some landrover people are like...

Overdrive units come up for sale regularly in the LR comics from about £250 upwards but the diesel is so gutless I don't think it will help you much.

I ran a civvy series 2 with 2.25 diesel and fairey overdrive. It just about coped with the overdrive, it was only with several ( well maybe three!!) tons in atraailer behind that you had to split each gear in the main box, by using the overdrive..As with everything old vehicles need to be accepted for what they are, and what they an do.

If you have a problem with this buy the vehicle you actually want, instead of trying to make one out of something else...

Edited by antarmike

Hi guys need help getting an easier cruising speed out of this old girl Its a military 2.2 diesel series 3....I was thinking of a higher ratio final drive so it cruises a bit easier. Any one know how to do this or the best option, will a five speed off a new ninety or 110 fit...etc etc.....

I understood that Range Rover diffs would fit. Changes the entire range though.

I understood that Range Rover diffs would fit. Changes the entire range though.

They do, ratio is 3.54:1 as opposed to 4.7:1 and you have the option of starting in low range if necessary. Changing the diffs is more efficient as it lowers the propshaft speed the last thing you want in a LR transmission is another set of whining gears.

Don't convert it to permanent 4wd using 90 bits as the steering UJs are not constant velocity and it will be a pig to drive.

Edited by radiomike7

I tend to agree with Radiomike, that the RR diff option is better. They are only slightly more difficult to fit than the overdrive (plus the speedo needs re-calibrating), lots easier to find good ones, and far quieter running. The only worry is how well a 2286cc diesel will cope with the higher ratio? Overall I'd think they would be fine in most circumstances, and I've considered fitting them in my 2 litre diesel 109" series 1, mostly for lower revs/noise at higher speed, over fuel economy. An option would be to test it on the road by fitting a RR diff in the rear axle only, and see what it's like on the road? Try to resist putting it in 4wd though!

Jules

I tried diffs years ago,found it not to my liking,due to the lack of power and lots of trailer towing the overdrive works far better,especially on hills where you can use it as a splitter box.As for another set of whining gears we just made up a sticker for the back saying >whining along with Fairey.If running light the o/drive will pull from 30mph so country lane work is pleasent and more economical than the diff change.cw.

The thing about the overdrive is you don't have to use it. If yopu are driving into a strong headwind, stay in direct drive...If you change diffs you have less options of the gear you can use. You could well find yourself in third gear for long periods some days.

And I found it fun on a boring drive to go up through all 8 forward gears (IE STAYING IN high ratio in the transfer box) JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT!!!

The more gears the better, go for the overdrive....

My advice after having several 2.25 diesels is to go the overdrive route. As Mike says, you don't have to use it. I used a 109 series 3 with a heavy box section roofrack to do many thousands of miles and the overdrive does give a small reduction in damage to your hearing and sanity. The only times when I found it lacking (due to wind resistance) was in strong headwinds and when overtaking artics, due to the buffeting of deflected wind coming off them, needing a chage back to direct drive. Make sure you get a good one as they're becoming difficult to find. Might I suggest freewheel hubs as a concession to help reduce the amount of mechanical stuff an already gutless engine has to pull....:)

Ashcrofts do a good high ratio conversion for the series land rover, but I think the 2.25 diesel would struggle. You just have to accept it for what it is! If originality is not important, the 2.5 diesel from 90's and 110s is a straightforward conversion, but many of these are now pretty tired too.