The SV® does not have a 12 speed gearbox. The SV Cargo variants do, a 12 speed full auto or semi auto gearbox and very good it is as well. The SX variants, which the SV® is based on is a fully auto 6 speed gearbox. Not sure if you are mentioning SV® when you mention lack of room, but SV® has quite a bit of space and seating. The trials team were made up of ex-REME Reccy Mechs and serving, so what went in/on it was supported.

I hear that the Aus Army are looking very closely at MAN trucks at the moment.

I am sure that the SV® is a very good Truck and the trials team was constrained with in certain perameters. If I was on the team I would want a fridge, gas bottle and stove and a bed built into the design. To justify the fridge is for cold drinks in the hot climate they are working in, the cooking gear for the enevertable morning brew. The bed that converts to seating for the recovered crew. how ever they are not prioritys for the average ------ who lent his trade walking all day. I am sure that the recymech's over here will evently build them in if they are not suppled as they have done with the Mack.

We are looking at the MAN and use the MAN as our Tank transporter but there is more to the tender process then getting the best truck.

Have you been able to drive both MAN and HEMTT and if so which is the better and why, that is in the platform not the gear on the back.

The over thing is the crane you have gained 2.5 ton but lost 1.5 plus metres of space?

It should be noted that all my intel is from the net.

:coffee:

Driven all the MAN variants, some more (1000km+) than others. As for HEMTT, had a good look round one but the PLS version is very inferior to our version. Yes it has a BIG engine, but the type of gearbox saps a lot of power and looses more importantly torque.

The PLS has a payload reduction as soon as it goes x-country, which sort of defeats the object, certainly compared to ours.

I have driven the Oshkosh PLS (slightly different to the HEMTT PLS and it is a good vehicle, and can carry full load x-country, but i would still opt for the MAN variant, just not the one we bought(!) but the SX version with full independent suspension.

Im not fully clued up on the SV® as my area of expertise on the trials team was not this vehicle but others.

http://www.armyjeeps.net/hemitt/hemmt.htm

This is one of two that were for sale in the US. This one is at $85.000 and has no mention of wheather in can be exported out of the US, the other one was on ebay and went for around $65,000 but only for sale in the US ( see steel soldier forum) it was a much better version and there is a link to photos on Flicker.

Oshkosh are now rebuilding all the old ones in a rebuild program.

im currently out in afghan using the man,its a brilliant truck,plenty of power and excellent winches.

we have had alot of teething problems with the wreckers but nearly alll of which are sorted or in the process of being sorted.

as for ease of use, yes its easy if your eyes are there for the adaptors,it becomes a pain when they aren't or you want to get underneath the casualty,this can't be done because the boom doesn't go low enough.

if i had one thing to change on the wagon it would be the boom, a big folding boom with the same lift capacity would in my eyes be a much greater piece of equipment.

Thanks for that so a Terex/Atlas 560.2 15ton folding crane would be better. this would leave more room for the esky and a bed. however the hight when stowed is 2465 from the bed of the truck would this interfer with its air transportablity. the original design was for a folding crane.

• 4 months later...

Had a look around this last weekend. A big beast for sure 31 tonnes before the armour is added to make it 37 tonnes! Too big? One possible mod is for a reversing camera, but I think with a crew of 2 it should be possible to reverse and pick up a casualty without backing over it?

DSC00020.jpg

Thanks for that, I am currently looking at platforms for Bush fire trucks (we are in the midle of our fire season) and the same questions are asked MAN,Scania V American trucks. The RAAF have gone for the new pather rosenbauer and a scania 6x6.

As for our new trucks in mediam to heavy, the trial's have finised but there has been no anousment yet.