Places of interest in Malta

Bodge Deep

Dropped off my brother at the airport this morning who has gone to Malta for the week with the family. Any recommendations of interesting places to visit given the islands military career/significance... he's a ginner like me so sunbathing aint his style...!

cheers

The Church in Mosta is interesting, while a service was in progress during an air raid in WW2 a bomb came through the domed roof and landed near the congregation but did not explode.

Make time to go to any of the many carnivals they are great the fire works are supurb and health and safety no where to be seen

Malia Bay is lovely, St Pauls bay is smelly. Take a trip to the isle of Gozo well worth it.

Jim.

Up in the North East [to the right of Valetta is a large gun emplacement. It was being restored when I was last there. You can look at the layout of powder rooms etc. Candles behind glass was an early H&S rule. From the top you could look out on the film studios. Nearby was a scrap yard who were using the Scammell Explorer transferred from the Army to the RAF. [09AH17/94BD23]

Up in the North East [to the right of Valetta is a large gun emplacement. It was being restored when I was last there. You can look at the layout of powder rooms etc. Candles behind glass was an early H&S rule. [09AH17/94BD23]

That will be the 100 ton gun at Rinella. Also worth seeing are the Lascaris War Rooms in Valetta, still looking remarkably as they did in the film 'the Malta Story', also worth taking a trip around are the Forts of St Angelo and St Elmo. In fairness better seen with the benefit of having read up on before or with a guidebook. Some very good details if he is prepared to spend the time. Tell him to go to Sliema and get a boat trip around the fortifications. It is worth hunting out the smaller boat which is operated from there that boasts a longer cruise and sees more. I can vouch that it is a better trip as it goes up more of the smaller creeks around the harbour. Tell him to keep an eye out for the (full size?) U boat film prop. Quite worth seeing, if only for taking in the enormity of the task, is the largest manual cut ditch/moat in the world. Cut through solid rock by Moslem/Turkish slaves after losing the Great Siege to the Knights of St John. Kept the b******s out of mischief for quite a while.:-D I think a few more need digging. In fairness the island is full of military architecture etc. The Air Museum is pretty good if he likes the stuff that flies.