Unidentfied MV steering components.

things_green

Question

greetings from Aeotearoa {literally 'Land of the Long White Cloud}

(New Zealand).

My first post, my into excluded.

During the ongoing collecting/rationalising we all share in common I have decided to try and ID and move on these components.

'Shuler' is the company, my net searches have come up with oil rig/machinery kit?

The parts came with other 'treasures' I purchased from Govt. stores back in the '80s. Certainly from the MOD and painted green :)

All surviving Mil store tags are marked 'Sample, Do NOT Use"

3 x RH knuckles 1 X LH Knuckle (or the other way around.

2 x LH or RH steering arms.

2 x knuckle pins

id guess around WWII era judging from the technology, but I have been wrong before :-D

allparts.jpg

pinsknucklearm.jpg

Shuller.jpg

tags.jpg

Hopefully someone can ID these for me, even better someone out there in MV land can actually use them on their vehicle!

All parts have some light surface rust but are NOS.

Thankyou in advance,

Brent

10 answers to this question

but with steering Nick?

I'm assuming the components are just that Nick, components, and there are quite a few more to make up complete assemblies?

I would assume the brake gear is on the backing plate?

thanks for your input,

Brent

Edited by things_green

Hi Brent,

Going by the part number prefix, X3/XC/US/......., which are of the British WD system, it would denote that the parts are probably for "C" equipment or plant and originated in the USA. A stab in the dark, I will guess perhaps from a four wheel compressor trailer or similar.

Thankyou Richard, looks like Nick & Robert were not too far off the mark!

hopefully someone ID these NOS 'treasures' before they are consigned to the scrap heap when I die. That means we only have 40 years (pie in the sky) to ID them!

Brent

trailers with steering........

sorry Nick I couldn't get my head around that, all I could think of was turntable steering for trailers.

as the top line says.."I maybe stupid, but....":banghead:

I was chatting to a mate of mine over a cuppa this afternoon...and he says searchlight trailers & their associated genny units used stub axle steering...some arrangement whereby the drawgear actuated the drag links.......

and NO backing plates!

we learn something new everyday.

Brent

As it happens I have in front of me a 1943 edition of Guide for Stores Accounting & although strongly influenced by the British vocabulary system this book was published by the New Zealand Military Forces.

Group A stores include Section X stores comprising, searchlights, generating-sets & general electric light stores. If that helps!

As it happens I have in front of me a 1943 edition of Guide for Stores Accounting & although strongly influenced by the British vocabulary system this book was published by the New Zealand Military Forces.

Group A stores include Section X stores comprising, searchlights, generating-sets & general electric light stores. If that helps!

Clive, yes I think that may be pertinent !!! :-D

...and thankyou for the shunt to the WWI trailer 'runflat', agreed, nothing new under the sun.

Gentlemen (checks the names after the gender assumption, hmmm some are not gender specific.)

Gentlepersons, thankyou for your input.

I shan't consign them to the scrappies as I know somewhere out there they will be loved :yay:

Just once more, anyone heard of 'Shuler' in relation to MV equipment?

may you rust in peace,

Brent