Real v Replica

Larry Hayward

I wonder what members think of the growing trend in replica MV's? Do they have a place in the MV movement or does it depend on the event? Recently there has been a growing trend in modifying standard Land Rovers & Lightweights in to Recce / SAS vehicles or even building replica LRDG vehicles. Even WW2 Kubelwagens can be made from kits or a new Jeep from parts.

I appreciate that we all adorn our MV's with kit and weapons that they probably never had while in service, so in a sense we all fake it a little but modifying a vehicle in to something else could upset the purists. Should replicas be banned from winning show awards?

On the other had what is the difference between the Army modifying a bog standard vehicle in to a Recce vehicle and a member doing exactly the same work to the same standard to the same type of vehicle?

Should we make replicas if a particular vehicle is no longer available and would you be offended if I turn up at a MV show in a fibre glass Crusader tank?

Your thoughts

Larry. I think there are two main categories here.

1. A vehicle that is made into a variant of the same type or representing a different role or markings than original.

2. Then there are vehicles that are more for film work, re-enactors or novelty value. As long as these are sympathetically done to an authentic style, not a problem for me as long as they are clearly marked as such.

I think both categories should be upfront & state what has been done, then nobody is misled.

As for judging problems, I would abolish judging anyway. (That 'll cause some upsets) Some judges go to great lengths & time to make a decision. Other occasions there are judges who judge vehicles for which obviously know nothing about the chosen vehicle & award prizes to vehicles that are cringemakers to people who know about that type of vehicle.

One show I was at I marked my entry as 'not to be judged'. A judge asked me did I want to change my mind as there could be a prize in it for me. I still declined on the basis that I had not restored the vehicle, so what was the point?

Hmm....a very good question there Larry.

I don't know really...I suppose in general I'm against replica MV's but if the replica is of something that just does not exist anymore then I guess that it is OK.

But what I don't like is the way people use "lesser" vehicle's to build a replica. Take the ZIL 131 decontamination Units for example. I would estimate that a least 80% of them have had their tanks riped off with the intention of turning them into a replica Radio Truck. Why? You can buy a proper one for less than you can build one!! In most case's the projects have run into problems and the ruined ( in my opinion!) truck ended up selling on Ebay and will probably end it's days smashed up in a quarry. If this carries on there won't be many original decontamination units left.

Land Rover "Wolfs" are another one!

If I'm being honest I would have to say I feel a little cheated when I see a replica!

Regards

Richard

As some of you may know I am in the middle of a GMC workshop conversion to a Clubmobile http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732 , I have had all sorts of emails from purists telling me that I should not be doing it but the workshop was already converted to a camper when we got it by the previous owner so I did not have any bad feelings about the conversion, if it had been in good original condition I would have had to have a good long think about it first, also the type of vehicle we are converting it to dose not exist any more and as re-enactors we think our display would benefit from having a working Clubmobile, it was not built for MV competitions. On a last note, I would like to say Cara (the wife) bought this truck for the conversion and "SHE MADE ME DO IT !"

Mick

This question has been discussed on another forum. I think the point about being up front if you have a replica is the best way to go. My lightweight is cosmetically turned out as a military motorsport vehicle, but there is certainly no pretence on my part that it actually did race or rally. I just like it as it is. As far judging, I haven't encountered any in the far West, and I can't be doing with it anyway.

On a last note, I would like to say Cara (the wife) bought this truck for the conversion and "SHE MADE ME DO IT !"

Mick

Thanks Honey. :lol:

Yes, I made him do it. But, if there was an original somewhere I would have given my back teeth (and more :oops: ) to get hold of it.

As there are no surviving Clubmobiles and as Mick has said the Workshop that I had been offered had already been stripped I did not have any problems in deciding to purchse it and to convert it.

We have had a few people asking "What the hell are you doing?" but once you explain to them what the state of the truck was etc they are generally ok with it.

We are not duping people into thinking that it is original otherwise we would not have posted anything about the conversion, we would have just converted it on the quite and turned up at a show with it.

What do you guys think of us doing this? Honest opinions please.

I am in agreement though, that if there is a vehicle still in circulation, then you don't make one out of something else, just because you can't afford the real deal.

Thanks,

Cara

x

Interesting topic this......

Having seen - and nearly caught by - people turning classic Saabs into things they never were I'm probably a bit biased but here goes - I agree with what others above have said - if some one wants a particular type of vehicle - say a "Pink Panther" from the Reg'ts days in Oman - and there are none available either because they've all been destroyed, are in museums or what have you then taking a similar spec vehicle and converting it is a reasonable thing to do as long as it is declared as such up front if being sold on or entered into a competion of some sort.

After all - this is only what the military did themselves. However - if the vehicles do exist - as Panthers do - then converting a LWB into a replica should not be countenanced. Period. For those events which involve judging standards of vehicles I believe that replica's should start with a certain number of points deducted for the simple reason they ARE replica's - it's a hell of a lot harder to get a vehicle thats seen active service into show condition than it is to take a vehicle thats spent most of it's life either in storage or in barracks.

As regards Cara and Micks Clubmobile conversion - I personally reckon this is a good thing they are doing as none exist now, apart from theirs, and to have one to show future generations what their grandparents went through is a big plus in my books - too many people are trying to "rewrite" history these days so physical evidence of the equipment and conditions in use can only ever be a good thing.

Well - thats my tuppence worth - hope it hasn't upset too many people!!!

Russ had 'created' a replica KDF which did the circuit for a couple of years & we always booked it in as a replica KDF. Not many people even know what a KDF was but just for the honesty aspect we were up front .

It was very difficult to tell the difference & he only did it as we didn't have £30,000.00 to buy 1 of the very few real ones.

All the conversion parts were originals & sourced over many months from varying parts of europe.the following was changed

back screen, wings,headlights,suspension,wheels,tyres,bonnet,deck lid, windows,left hand conversion,seating.also fitted were deck boards,klaxon,notek front & back. as said all parts were original & it was a fun vehicle that we could drive to one day shows & those with very bad weather. It was never passed off as an original and apart from 1 or 2 comments about the german aspect we had 500-600 good comments. We only sold it to fund the GMC otherwise it would still be drove to work everyday as it was also a day to day vehicle.

German vehicles are quite rare & sometimes the only way to have one is to make one unless money is no object .

we enjoyed the challenge at the time & replicating a rare vehicle made us a lot more critical of others who had tried & not done it quite right. some of the others we saw had just had a paint job & a few stencils and were still right hand drive, that kind of replica is ok from a long distance.

I'm all in favour of replicas as long as they are correct & advertised as such.

ta

Berni