Vehicle wanted :)

grunty

Right then I have said hi and now the questions start :)

I am looking for a truck!:coffee:

Don't know what as i don't know what is available :(

What do i want?

Facility for sleep etc in the rear, have seen radio wagons or wooden boxes and also sheds built inside a canvass back, all fine :)

4x4, I guess that 6x6 would too expensive to run

Commers, Bedfords, Austins all look great, I have seen plenty of French and other European stuff but not as pretty :)

If it has a winch or any toys on board then thats even better :yay:

Soooo

opinions, suggestions, warnings :-D

thanks peeps

Alan

What eara are you looking at? A good one to go for is a saracen comand vehicle. high roof, room enough to sleep. Cheap to buy. You gould also go for a Landrover 109 series 2 or 3 ambulance. you could even go for the rather meaty Landrover 101, any of these will do, they do an ambulance but there do tend to be a little large and tall . the standard soft top version are very nice and have enough room to sleep, there is the hard body 101 for the radios turns into a nice compact camper. But what is it you are wanting to do with the vehicle? Good luck.

There is nothing wrong with series 2 and 3 ambulances they are great fun and dont take up to much room. The nest part with a series Landrover is you dont have any problems with spares and you can pick up a solid ones for around a grand, seen a good one go from Jacksons for £500.00. And the best of all you can even green lane in a 109 without worring about space.

As agripper has already asked, what era are you thinking of ??.....certainly post war vehicles will (normally) be easier and cheaper (!!) to get hold of, in a lot of cases spares back up will be good, as well.

Give us a few of your idea's, and we'll help you spend your cash. :-D

All the best,

Andy

Give us a few of your idea's, and we'll help you spend your cash. :-D

All the best,

Andy

hehe, no problem spending it, its explaining to the mrs were it went :argh::shake:

What do I want?

something affordable to buy and to run would be good :???

I like the look of the old stuff, commers, bedfords etc,REO look fantastic but a bit much for me really. Matadors are cool :)

wc 52 powerwagons :-D Allready have a Landy

I would like tax exempt and also like the sound of mot exempt as it saves the once yearly hassle which means the occasional use doesnt cost a lot and it doesn't eat and drink while parked up for weeks on end.

Use?

Shows :-D weekend romps :coffee: driving round town looking cool :cool2:

giving me an excuse to get out of the house :-D

I think you know the thing :P

Money issues...

i haven't got a lot but... could find some :idea:

I have little idea of what they go for or what aftercosts are involved. fuel economy is desirable and I have read about multi fuel engines which i fancy as veg oil etc is allready being played with?

Facilities?

I have storage in a field and i can get up to my workshop though not in it, so at least spanners and welders etc can be utilised if needed.

still possible?

cheers

Alan

Alan,

I'd look at that very tidy RL on ebay, could be a good first vehicle if you wanted a truck.

Chris

I'd go along with the above, Alan;

For parts availability, I'm thinking Bedford is good.......they are a great lorry to drive as well. :)

The one on ebay looks in brilliant fettle, and when I last looked a good price.

Certainly enough room in the back to make comfy living accomodation, for shows, etc with benifit of 4wd for getting out of the muddy ones...:-D

Best bit,............ITS BRITISH. :):)

All the best,

Andy

zil 131...only 3-5 mpg but great off road and not too bad to look after...parts are reasonably easy to get too and they are at least different to everything else you see...bedfords are good trucks too though, but I have not seen any trucks that can be called economical except for maybe the unimog diesel...

Found a power wagon on there too :)

This one? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250446482452

While it is indeed a M601, it is not of "1942 ?" vintage. These were built from the mid or latter part of the 1950's until as late as the early 1970s(!) for foreign military aid. I´m just posting those build years here to prevent possible problems registering such a vehicle.

Otherwise, nice trucks! I´d like a civilian Power Wagon to convert into the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army version:

dodgepowerwagen49.jpg

Edited by mcspool

Hi

I'm biased but I like Reos. Nice looking and sounding and cheap to run. Plenty of space and not too slow on the road.

M

I like the REOs too, didn't think they would be cheap to run though?

You'll save on average at least £1000 a year in fuel if you buy a REO!!

Get freindly with your local garages who will gladly give you contaminated fuel for free and happy fuel-cost free motoring!!!

Might be a few more grand expensive to buy, but you'll save the difference in fuel in no time and also have a far more reliable truck.

Bedford's are great but if its petrol you'll find yourself making frequent visits to the petroleum station!

I must say that there is a supurb looking REO for sale on milweb at the moment, £6500ono I think. Go rob your piggy bank and go for it.

You'll save on average at least £1000 a year in fuel if you buy a REO!!

Get freindly with your local garages who will gladly give you contaminated fuel for free and happy fuel-cost free motoring!!!

Might be a few more grand expensive to buy, but you'll save the difference in fuel in no time and also have a far more reliable truck.

Bedford's are great but if its petrol you'll find yourself making frequent visits to the petroleum station!

I must say that there is a supurb looking REO for sale on milweb at the moment, £6500ono I think. Go rob your piggy bank and go for it.

I would love a REO but unfortunately I would be living in it if I paid that much and the mrs found out!!!

may be not so bad??:cool2:

Reo is the generic name for the M series of trucks which were built by a number of different companies from 1950 on to replace the WW2 GMC's and it was this series that were called deuce and a half, this term was not used in WW2. Two vets I have met who drove GMC's both told me they used the term 6 by's not 'jimmys' as is commonly supposed. Not all Reo's are multi fuel, they were originally petrol, multi fuel was a later development and was a Nato standard at one time I think. There are several members with Reos who will be able to advise you in more detail.

Edited by Degsy

Well I think this topic is a waste of time............... you will get as many opinions as to what you should buy, as there are types of vehicle available.

As far as I'm concerned...... forget all the other stuff and really pee off a few members on here and buy a Militant Mk 1 tipper... (Cos loads of them want one and can't find one) .........ooooooor buy an ALBION, and there aren't too many of them about. HD 23's are as rare as rocking horse poo, and CX's can't be mistaken for anything else. Luvverly looking bit of kit.

That's what I think any way..............:-D