Another bloody jeep!

I've only very recently joined this superb site, and am already getting feedback on jeep related problems.

Having looked through at some of the incredibly brave restorations, I thought I'd chuck in a few photos' of my jeep which I rebuilt nearly ten years ago. I take my hat off to all you guys with the rare and big stuff.

When viewed for the first time I should have walked away from it and found something easier to rebuild, but I'm sure you are all aware of how they talk to you and beg to not be left to rot away in some overgrown shed (if they're lucky) So I handed over too much money and dragged the poor thing home.

I'd also had a jeep in the '60's and had always wanted another. ( I think it's a desease! )

I had been in the bodywork trade for around 30 years and thought the job would take around a year to do. In the end it took three, working most evenings, and some lunch times!

I had decided that this would be my swan song so I'd try and do it to the best of my ability. I do'nt think it turned out bad, apart from the odd oil leak, and hairline crack in the block which even now still plagues me.

The jeep was much worse than I thought, with nothing in or on it that was'nt worn out or damaged in some way! Most of the ancillaries had been robbed, along with stuff that bolts on the outside!

Anyway, I hope you like these few pics'.

It was a great help having the resources of the garage and bodyshop at hand, saving huge amounts of money.

The first engine build was a failure as the block leaked so badly it could only be used as a garden ornament to put pot plants in the bores! A new block was sourced and was rebuilt with all new innards. ( sadly, this block also has a hairline crack in the usual place above the distributor close to the head.)

The tub was so badly rotted I decided (after much soul searching) to fit a new tub. I have no idea where it was manufactured, but is a superb replica, unlike some that I have seen over the years.

As I said, everything has been rebuilt or replaced. I've had a lot of help information wise and the most helpful of all has been Tony Sudds. (even when I've rung him during his annual bath!)

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that it's a very emotional experience when you drive it for the first time, and nothing breaks or falls off!

It is finished in 2-pack paint. I added a small amount of flexi' additive that is used for plastic bumpers etc. This gives a very slight sheen that allows easy removal of the remains of toffee apples and ice cream.

One of the first outings after only a short time of finishing was to Dunkeswell Airfield in Devon to ferry around some U.S.Navy Veterens that had come over to see their old base.

As usual it rained heavily, and the jeep was at times up to her axles in mud when me and other jeep owners took them of a tour of the airfield. (some of the old buildings were down very muddy tracks) So the jeep was 'Christened' Which brought forth the comment from friend and jeep owner who was with me, that he " could'nt believe I'd done that" It took a whole day to clean it after this, ( they never look quite so pristine again do they!) but it was worth it to see the pleasure on the old guys faces.

He and I later took it to Normandy in 2004,the only fault being a dud starter motor, (which suddenly decided to work again as we were going to the ferry home!) but it's not like a jimmy or other heavy kit, and we always found someone to give us a push.

I have been offered serious money for it, but I would have to be in dire financial trouble to even contemplate selling. There's too much of 'me' in it.

I had to retire early due to dust and paint taking their toll over the years, ( be very careful guys when painting or sanding your vehicles ) plus the odd ciggy over the years probably did'nt help! So it has a special place in my heart as it was the last resto' that I could do.

the photos' are--

1. as found ( it does'nt look too bad does it! I should have known better!)

2. going home

3. Strip down, that's a pal who thinks it's funny because it is'nt his!

4. frame and body tub, apart from being very bent, the chassis was rust free

5. chassis repairs on jig.

6. naturally, both axels were rebuilt

7. chassis build up.

8. first engine dissassembled.

9. chassis with first engine in place (mistakenly painted green, it's a G.P.W.) note jeep 'Gremlin' offspring of pal.

10. tub and 'new' engine in place.

11. markings going on. (jeep finished to represent the personal hack of Lt Joe Kennedy Jr. (older brother of President John F. Kennedy) U.S.Navy, whilst a pilot flying P.B.4.Y.1's at Dunkeswell, Devon during W.W.II.

This was decided on as at the time I was a co owner and director of said establishment.

12. under hood photo' taken not long ago. Still looks o.k.

13. as it is now. (yeah, I know it says 2007)

I would have put captions with the photos' if I knew how. Sorry.

While I'm here, I discovered during the engine (1st) strip down that a groove had been machined around the crankshaft journals out from the oil holes. Also, there were thin brass shims between the con rods and their caps! anyone seen this before?

On the gearbox there was a plate stating it had been rebuilt at the V.W, factory in Wolfsburg. It also has a plate on the dash stating it was rebuilt to 'class III by R.A.W. workshops, Bremen, Germany. 1948.' No numbers or other markings were found on the hood.

Sorry if I've gone on a bit.

Jeff

2,as found..jpg

3. Going home..jpg

4. smiling, it's not his..jpg

5. poor condition, and chassis bent - Copy (2).jpg

6. chassis on jig..jpg

7. axle(s) rebuild..jpg

6.a chassis build up..jpg

8. first engine rebuild..jpg

10. engine in..jpg

11. engine No2, tub fitted..jpg

12. markings going on. - Copy.jpg

14. Willys block. Ford head..jpg

Mil. jeep dec 07.jpg

Edited by Jeff Glasser

Blimey guys, that was quick. Thanks for your kind comments.

I had actually gone back and edited it a bit, you probably missed it.

Of course there are a lot more photos' ( never enough though is there!) but I thought I'd condense it somewhat. If some of you chaps are like me, the attention span is'nt what it was!

Jeff

Thanks Bodge, Yeah, I spent many hours and a fortune on it, then when it was finished I did'nt like it. It was a '77 with the L.48 350 cu inch motor, which to be honest compared to the earlier stuff was gutless.

The decision to sell it was that I was always looking for the speed cameras and the arsholes who wanted to damage it!

At my age I was also starting to feel like the oldest swinger in town when driving it! (I'm entering my 61st year!)

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Glasser

Hello Jeff

I know Bungay well its just down the Road from me. I am now 45 ish, I dont keep my gear at home its all at the Workshop whick is near Stowmarket, by the way I like the vette,nice motor.

Howard.

Great Job,Engine green ,engine grey,whats goinn on?:n00b:

The green engine was the original much cracked Willys. At that stage believe it or not I did'nt know G.P.W. engines were grey, and so repainted it as found!

replacement motor correctly painted grey.

Sorry to have confused you there C.W.!

Jeff.

p.s. where can I find reference to Car-go sealant that you kindly mentioned?

Hello Jeff

I am getting there slowly I got the new hand brake band fitted this eavening,as a running chassis cab its almost there,the main work is going to be on the workshop body, its in a rough shape.I have taken one outer skin off one side, only to discover more rot. So i have my work cut out.I am hoping to get stuck into the body in a couple of months.By the way suffolk has been sunny we have had some good hot days, and the countryside is still as nice as ever.

Howard.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I havnt looked on the web,just PM me your details and i will send you a couple of bottles.cw.

Hello Jeff

I am getting there slowly I got the new hand brake band fitted this eavening,as a running chassis cab its almost there,the main work is going to be on the workshop body, its in a rough shape.I have taken one outer skin off one side, only to discover more rot. So i have my work cut out.I am hoping to get stuck into the body in a couple of months.By the way suffolk has been sunny we have had some good hot days, and the countryside is still as nice as ever.

Howard.

I would have liked a G.M.C. like yours, but it would be a problem as to where to keep it, I imagine you have the same problem.

I have sent a message to the guys at 'Harleston Military Trucks' on here re an old buddy from there, but so far no reply.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Glasser

See now ..........Jeeps & Vettes..........obviously certifiable......or a glutton for punishment .:-D

your right dave, though I am recieving therapy. I get plugged into the mains, then my wife shows me pictures of 'Vettes, jeeps, etc. and switches the power on!

( little does she know I'm getting to like it!)

The Falcon Ute' sounds nice. I always wanted a late '60's El Camino with a big block, but s.w.m.b.o. said I'd look like a Hill Billy.

I did have a '59 F100 back in the '70's which was good fun.

Jeff

I would have liked a G.M.C. like yours, but it would be a problem as to where to keep it, I imagine you have the same problem.

I have sent a message to the guys at 'Harleston Military Trucks' on here re an old buddy from there, but so far no reply.

Jeff

Hello Jeff

Got to admit Iam very lucky I have a very large biulding part of it is a purpose built workshop and the rest was a grain store, but this has never been used for that purpose it is just used to store my vehicles and machinary.

Howard.