So you think you are clever....

Jack

No googling this chaps!!

But who was Sergeant Thomas P. Kane?? And what mistake did he make

during WW11..??

Going off to make a full scale match stick model of Port Winston as it is going to take you a long while to get this one.........:coffee:

Looks like you have time to plant another poplar and wait for it to grow into matchsticks Jack, strangely I ain't got a clue either.

Think you are right Bernard :coffee:

Will give you a clue - something to do with the build up to D-Day............

His brother was in Germany and he sent him a letter to say that there seems to be a lot of people gathering at the ports.(his brother was a field marshal ) ?

Yes I'm grasping at straws

Jamie

Wow we are getting there.............

Where was his family located that he sent these papers to ?

What was Sargent Kane's fate ?

I've read about this incident more than once but I'm afraid I can't remember the answer to either of your questions. Since Jack posed the question perhaps he can come up with some more info.

There were several instances of possible security leaks before D Day, a senior American officer was demoted and returned to the US after being indiscreet at a party, a lot of the code words appeared in The Times crossword but that turned out to be coincidence and a lot of secret papers blew out of an open office window in London but all were eventually accounted for. There were also a number of other incidents.

Where was his family located that he sent these papers to ?

What was Sargent Kane's fate ?

I am typing this from one of my books......

Early in March a parcel of papers stamped 'Bigot' bursting open in a Chicago mail office, had caused widespread panic until the mystery was solved. The hard-pressed chief clerk of the London Ordnance Supply Section, Sergent Thomas P. Kane. had been worrying over his ailing sisters health: in a moment of aberration, he had mailed the package not to the appropriate US department but to her address in Chicago. He and his sister remained under FBI surveillance for long after D-Day.

:sweat: