New ebay military item rules.

Rick W

Maybe you should introduce an auction style sales thing to add to HMVF? Could be an opening there Jack?

First thing I thought of Rick too. It could be time for the hobby to have a focused and dedicated auction site and have thought about that for a long long time.....

- Mark - you listening as MV Ads is where its at and it wouldn't take a lot to sort that. We will all buy shares in it too.

No doubt it wont be long before these rules apply to the UK. These rules must apply to us otherwise the world market could buy items from us that could well be banned elsewhere.

I find it worrying and annoying that they should put a blanket ban on military vehicles and parts, with the exception of parts for obsolete or antiquated vehicles. How will they define a military vehicle. My Albion tipper is a Military vehicle, but it doesn't exactly represent a threat to national security, much in the same way for a Land Rover. You could hardly use a "Pig" to threaten national security or a Stalwart for that matter. Where will it all end.

Selling knives and replica weapons is understandable, and yet as I read it; you will still be able to buy replica guns and explosives providing they were never made as weapons. Replica guns can cause a great threat in the wrong hands.

What will happen after this, makes me wonder if the ban will be extended to other advertising media, like as you suggest, "Videoads" or even forums such as this. Is this the thin end of the wedge, will there be a policy of destroying all used military vehicles and accessories once their service life has ended?

If there is concern about where these items are being sold to, and who is buying them, then surely as our E mails and mobile phone calls may now be recorded and used in anti terrorist investigations, concerned parties can very easily monitor who is buying, what is for sale, where it came from, and where it may end up. Surely E Bay would happily pass on information about any sales or purchases of military equipment. There isn't anything secretive about E bay. If anyone wants to find out where a tank came from or who is selling it; anyone can go and look at it, speak to the seller etc.

Another one of our rights is about to be taken from us. We are just people with a hobby, easy to find and check up on, and not a threat to anyone. :???

I think this change of policy may be related to this story...

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_24/b4038041.htm

Chris

Fair enough......... but it hardly relates to the sort of things normally seen on E Bay in this country.

It's the governments responsibility to make sure current technology isn't offered for sale on public auction sites. Even so; it's easy for anyone to check on people buying large quantities of military equipment.

We've seen on here, aircraft scrap yards and storage yards for military planes. Some of them are broken for spares and exported to countries that could possibly use them to get aircraft airworthy and use them to harm us or our armies. Parts and aircraft shouldn't be sold to countries that could eventually use them against us.

I feel sorry for people who collect weapons as an interest, but I don't feel comfortable about the possibility that they could end up in the wrong hands. It's like the amnesties we've had in this country for arms and knives. The honest and innocent handed their prized posessions over to the police. Those who are likely to commit crime with them no doubt still have them.

I still think it wrong that we may not be able to buy vehicles and parts from E Bay......... a very public auction. :angry

Whilst I can see the reasoning behind this move in respect of sensitive and potentially lethal equipment I cannot see the need to extend such an embargo to include the likes of thirty year old land Rovers , second war Jeeps and the like . Obviously a blanket ban is more straightforward for the powers that be , but it doesn't require immense intelligence to adapt rules and regulations to make allowance for the antique and collectors niche which we and others of a similar interest occupy

I like the idea of tehran_beard_88 planning to bring the west to its knees by amassing a collection of Explorer Handbook not Pioneer L@@K!!!!

He'd always get bad feedback. Payment came slow. Kept calling me the infidel. Avoid.

I had a read of the US ebay notice (ebay.com) and - to me - it only seems to apply to the US as in disposal of Gov't equipment. Bit of an over-reaction I think but no worse than I've seen from the USA in the past when working for Ford. (no offence to our US members).

Hopefully it will not apply to the other national eBay companies as, at least not yet, other countries do not have the stringent rules and regs the US Gov't does on assett disposal.

Fingers crossed!!!