Barrage Balloon

thedawnpatrol

Question

I have been offered an original WW2 Barrage Balloon, great, I thought, all I need is a nice Ford winch truck to attach it to and what a display it would make flying high above a show!

But then I thought what shall I fill it with, and whats it going to cost me? also what hight could I fly it too ?

any one any thoughts ?

Jules

16 answers to this question

1. Afraid you'll need helium, lots of it, and it isn't exactly cheap. In the US the stock exchange quote is around 60 dollars/ one thousand cubic feet. Dunno about customer final bill for bottled helium.

2. Depends on location, if you are on an approach course for an airport forget about it... but you may ask the Civilian Aviation Authority about safe heights and location. I presume you need to notify the presence of the balloon. Contacts may be found under the thread on searchlight license.

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

You could try hydogen, like they used in the Hindenburg (what burned red when it should have burned blue)

Incidentally, do you know the purpose of a barrage balloon? Slightly trick question.

Can you still get the Ealing Comedy about these things?

Can you still get the Ealing Comedy about these things?

You may be thinking of Let George Do It! with George Formby floating off to Germany; or Gasbags with the Crazy Gang running a fish & chip shop off a barrage balloon and also floating off to Germany.

My Grandma had a children's book called Blossom the Barrage Balloon about the coming of age of a young barrage balloon during the Blitz - a great piece of social history being relevant to only a single generation of children.

Having jumped out of RAF balloons for over 20 years as an Assistant Para Jump Instructor (APJI) (until they replaced them all with skyvans- basically a transit van with wings) these were ex barrage balloons and the Brit/RAF only ever used Hydrogen (Begians used Helium) and they do need regular top ups.

The problem is the certificates of conformity re cables, winches, use of hydrogen (especially in public areas) and restriction of height (we jumped at 800 max) add on the fact that they are very prone to lightening risk and cannot be flown in some wind conditions above about 13 knots etc etc.

Then the insurance you would need if you have a breakaway (happened a few times that I have seen) and said balloon wrapped itself round an aircraft etc. Also they usually had height valves that opened/burst a panel to let gas escape then if the balloon came down onto someone or on a motorway etc - risk assessments and a huge PLI etc. Is it worth the hassle?

Just my twopence worth from years of being a balloonatic

Regards

Gary

Edited by gazzaw

WW2 Barrage Balloon Winch VLA-M1

Everything works, engine has compression and turns free. Includes super rare hand crank. Complete with gas tank (removed to clean) Winch system turns freely and shifts tight. Original paint. Weight is approx 900lbs. Is mounted on original skid. Priced at 3000.00 USD, located in Georgia.

229-269-9029

Or you need this from Milweb

Having jumped out of RAF balloons for over 20 years as a Para Jump Instructor (until they replaced them all with skyvans- basically a transit van with wings) these were ex barrage balloons and the Brit/RAF only ever used Hydrogen (Begians used Helium) and they do need regular top ups.

The problem is the certificates of conformity re cables, winches, use of hydrogen (especially in public areas) and restriction of height (we jumped at 800 max) add on the fact that they are very prone to lightening risk and cannot be flown in some wind conditions above about 13 knots etc etc.

Then the insurance you would need if you have a breakaway (happened a few times that I have seen) and said balloon wrapped itself round an aircraft etc. Also they usually had height valves that opened/burst a panel to let gas escape then if the balloon came down onto someone or on a motorway etc - risk assessments and a huge PLI etc. Is it worth the hassle?

Just my twopence worth from years of being a balloonatic

Regards

Gary

So before the TA you were obviously a SNCO or WO PTI in the RAF ?? who of course are the only qualified PJIs in the UK armed forces .

Edward B Angus B.E.M.

WO RAF retired

Nope, an APJI which was the Army Assistant to the PJIs and we dispatched and jumped Balloons etc. I month course at Abingdon before No 1 PTS moved to Brize Norton which is similar to PJI course (in fact trained alongside PJIs) re instruction on all phases of parachuting from prep, flights, aircraft drills, exits, emergencies, landings etc, as well as all the hanger and training eqpt used to train troops.

On balloon days we used to jump dawn to dusk then do some night jumps, depending on how many chutes available you could average 7 to 12 jumps (officially only supposed to do max 7 before jump happiness creeps in lol) also used to throw troops out then follow them out the cage.

Happy days

Gary

Hi,

The old film was about a bunch of women operating a balloon.

What is a baloon for? Answer - to hold the wire up.

My SiL tells me that a WW1 German pilot actually landed on a balloon. Should I get more details?

As a lad, my father called me out of our Anderson shelter, to watch a doodle-bug coming down after it had hit a balloon.......sorry....after it had hit the cable.

Yep as well as Hullavington, Queen's Parade in the Shot and almost every DZ in UK as well as overseas. 30 years is a long time and things changed from Andovers, Hastings (they were still around in 70s) to C130 Mk1s to the stretched Herc, as well as German and French C160's (Transaals) Countless choppers (Wessex, Chinook, PUMA (trials team) and U.S. HUIHs, Blackhawks, C140 Starlifters and even as an extra for Bridge too Far jumping Dakotas. Ended up with 515 mil jumps and some civvy ones (don't count them)

Ted, don't think we've met only been RLC since 2004 after Tferring from Para to Hat lol. Never had an open day there in my time but I'm trying to ressurrect them.

Gary

Gary I was there 98 to I think 2001, Nigel Watson John Webster the late Bill Ireland to name just a few.

I keep in touch with a fair number of SMVG people but don't pay my subs anymore I joined when it was a preservation group not a dressing up brigade who don't know a grease nipple from a milk nipple but I will shut up on that subject now. --Incoming !!

Hopefully we will meet at a show up here one day.

TTFN

TED

ps who was the TA Officer at Dunfermline with the Matador ?

Gary I was there 98 to I think 2001, Nigel Watson John Webster the late Bill Ireland to name just a few.

I joined when it was a preservation group not a dressing up brigade who don't know a grease nipple from a milk nipple but I will shut up on that subject now. --Incoming !!

I was one of the original members of the Scvottish Mil Veh Club in the 70s with Tommy Hamilton and Jim Smith -who ran out of Plean, with some vehs at Denny. We used to meet in a pub in Stirling. I had a champ that I bought for £75 did it up a bit (not fully restored) then gave it away -often wondered what happened to it (TGA 751G)

Gary