Plane takes off with no pilot

Marmite!!

Stunned airshow spectators watch in disbelief as a £50,000 vintage biplane takes off on its own - then crashes into a tree.

The pilot of the 1940s Stampe twoseater trainer had spun the propeller to get it started but before he could jump in the cockpit it shot forward.

The plane lurched around in a circle before straightening up and leaving the ground as its speed hit up to 60mph.

It flew for about 200 yards before smashing into trees at the edge of the airfield.

Malcolm Phillips, 67, who was at the show, said: "There were hundreds of people there watching as the plane ran amok, haring round in circles.

"It was doing around 60mph, going round in circles for six or seven minutes before it straightened up and lifted off. It was eerie as there was nobody on board.

It flew for about 20 seconds, covering about 200 yards before it hit the trees." Had it cleared the trees the plane would have been heading for the nearby city of Chichester, West Sussex.

Staff at Goodwood airfield sprayed the plane with foam to stop it catching fire after Sunday's accident.

The biplane lost a wing in the crash.

It is believed to be owned by Londonbased banker Michael Parr, 62 but it is not known if he was at the event.

The Stampe was at the Goodwood Breakfast Club, a monthly event which displays vintage cars, bikes and aircraft.

Chris Rollings, who owns four Stampe aircraft, said: "It's not that unusual for these things to start racing around with their pilots galloping after them.

"But it's extremely unusual for them to take off without a pilot."

no-pilot-plane-pic-.jpg

Insurance claim should make intresting reading. Mind you, some years ago the personal pilot of Middle Eastern head of state was conducting a ground test of engines on HRH's personal aircraft. He chose to operate the throttles whilst standing bettween the seats. As the engines built up power the aircraft jumped the chocks, our gallant pilot then exited aircraft with extreme agility. Aircraft then entered a hangar, all on it's ownsome. Apparently a sudden vacancy for 'Personal Pilot' appeared.:cool2:

I know the owner that was his second mishap in eighteen months. Some of us had tried to tell him of the dangers of operating old flying machines but what do I know I have only been doing It for 27 years. It will put the Insurance up for the rest of us so the next time I see Mr Parr I will thank him very much for being a complete ****.

Alan Turney

A.M. Turney Aircraft Restoration.

There was an incident of a ground engineer performing engine runs on a Lightning, he ran up the Twin Avons to full re-heat, and then it jumped off the chocks/brakes failed, the only option he had was to pull back on the stick, and get airborne, and he didnt have the option of punching out, as the ejection seat had all of its safety pins in place!

And he did manage to land it safely.

a ground engineer performing engine runs on a Lightning, he ran up the Twin Avons to full re-heat, and then it jumped off the chocks/brakes failed, the only option he had was to pull back on the stick, and get airborne

That was HIS excuse, anyway :rotfl:

That was HIS excuse, anyway :rotfl:

The chap is interviewed on a video that I have on the Lightning, actually the plane was undergoing a series of tests to find an intermittent electrical fault. The pilot allocated had pushed off after a while, leaving the engineer to do the tests on a taxiway and on the day in question a plane pulled across the taxiway in front of him and, given his speed, he had no option but to pull back on the stick...

Hi,

OT....I met a WAAF who knew the WAAF who did a circuit sitting on a Spitfire's tail.

Very OT....a horsedrawm mail coach left Swansea without its driver (but with passengers)....and arrived safely at it destination in Carmarthen.

I'll get my coat.

• 2 months later...

A lovely aircraft, I helped restore it some years ago at Dunkeswell/Devon when my friend owned it. I was responsible for the paint job!

It originaly had a Renault engine which even after a complete rebuild was crap and could never be trusted! It was later fitted with a trusty D.H. Gypsy engine which made it a much better aeroplane.

I hope it can be rebuilt. As for whoever was in control that day, well, hind sight is a wonderful thing!

I've attached a couple of pics' of it from a few years back.

Jeff

Stampe S.V.4 Glass' Paint.jpg

Stampe,S.V.4 Glass'1988..jpg

Phew!

I have a pal,an ex bootneck, who climbed his way up through Gazelles,' Lynx, etc, and is now an Airline Capt. He had many tales to tell of such things that never were reported! and to think us lesser mortals hold these skygods in such awe!

I had some near scrapes myself during my early days of flying, and during flying for the R.N.and R.M. skydiving club at Dunkeswell. When it's wet and they can't jump or fly, that's when all these stories surface. Though I'm sure some of them have been somewhat embelished! Well, nobody wants to hear a dull story do they!

Jeff