Struts on Lorry?

Sylvester

Question

Hi Folks!!

A little question, When fitting the bars up for the canvas on the back of my QL, do the bars bolt onto the inside or the outside of the loops??

just wondered, I have steel poles and some wooden supports, do the wooden supports bolt onto the very top in centre to create roof type ridge to prevent water pooling on top of cavas??

I may be a bit dim, but.... just want to know as first time I have assembled this type of frame work!

Any help, much appreciated ...as usual!!

Fred

6 answers to this question

Hi Folks!!

A little question, When fitting the bars up for the canvas on the back of my QL, do the bars bolt onto the inside or the outside of the loops??

just wondered, I have steel poles and some wooden supports, do the wooden supports bolt onto the very top in centre to create roof type ridge to prevent water pooling on top of cavas??

I may be a bit dim, but.... just want to know as first time I have assembled this type of frame work!

Any help, much appreciated ...as usual!!

Fred

Fred,

They bolt on the inside of the end hoops, but go over the outside on the centre hoop. Not usually any wood on it, might have been added by someone. How many straight bars to you have?

Hi Richard,

Thanks, I have 5 straight bars, 2 that are bent that appear to fix to the holes in the midle loop nearer to centre and angle out at each end, 2 straight timber lengths that appear to fit as back rests to seating, (Full length of cargo area) and two pieces that join in middle to run full length also!That bit about running inside to outside makes sence, looking at the loops hieght!!

She's starting to take shape now!

Thanks

Fred ....Again!

Hi Richard,

Thanks, I have 5 straight bars, 2 that are bent that appear to fix to the holes in the midle loop nearer to centre and angle out at each end, 2 straight timber lengths that appear to fit as back rests to seating, (Full length of cargo area) and two pieces that join in middle to run full length also!That bit about running inside to outside makes sence, looking at the loops hieght!!

Hi Fred,

That sounds right :thumbsup:

Hi Richard,

So...do you reckon the central wooden struts would be fitted normally or do you reckon its a modification?

Just a little funny, I was cleaning up the windscreen wiper motor yesterday, under all the paint I found Manuf.Stamp.... Bosch, Made in Germany!! Original or .....!! I know my Dad used to joke about the wind up clock in his cab being a Smiths made in germany job!

Thanks yet Again mate, definately have to meet up at a show and have a drink eh!

Fred

Hi Richard,

So...do you reckon the central wooden struts would be fitted normally or do you reckon its a modification?

Just a little funny, I was cleaning up the windscreen wiper motor yesterday, under all the paint I found Manuf.Stamp.... Bosch, Made in Germany!! Original or .....!! I know my Dad used to joke about the wind up clock in his cab being a Smiths made in germany job!

Thanks yet Again mate, definately have to meet up at a show and have a drink eh!

Fred,

Sorry I thought in your first post that the wooden boards were on top of the frame. They could have been fitted along the sides just above top of body sides, if bench seats had been fitted............but if you meant they were on the top, then I think they have been added to stop water pooling.

Mine has Bosch wiper motors too, but more because it was used by Danish Army post war.

We will have to meet up at Beltring, or Headcorn.

Cheers Richard,

Yeah, definately meet up at both if you like eh!!

As for wood panels, yes two were back rests, but there is a seperate split beam, 2 sections join to create 1, chamfered at each far end, think this is probably a mod done by a previous owner, think I will fit it to save those orrible watery moments eh!

Also, amazin little event, the other week my wife was sorting out her Creative Memories photo albums and opened up her W&P one, I had taken some photo's of a QL 7 years ago when I was a visitor (My first ever visit to a military show) I took the clips because it was the same type as my Dad's, only turned out to be the very one I now own!!

How odd is that!!

Previous owner prior to the owner I got her from, was in East Sussex, you may have known him??

Thanks Again,

Fred