RAF Regiment Recce Rovers

chevpol

Hi all, a question.

when did the RAF Regiment field sqns (hereafter called the good guys!!) change from 110 Recce to WMIK?

As a admirer of the good guys, I would like a 110 to go with my 109"ffr when I have the spare cash, mind you, I do like a WMIK but at moment that is out of the window

All the best

Mark :cool:

Im not an expert on these, but i think that the Weapons Mount Installation Kit was a fit for the Wolf/XD110, so the introduction would of been some time shortly after the Wolf XD110/XD90 came into service in 1996.

If anybody finds an original WMIK wolf or later variation that is still driveable i would be surprised, they are getting recycled and rebuilt by a company called Hobsons industries, i think the few that are running around in civvy hands are totally rebuilt B.E.R. wrecks.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Whots new we were doing it 30 yrs ago.

Untitled-Scanned-01-1.jpg

didnt quite have the same facilities though:rofl:

i think the few that are running around in civvy hands are totally rebuilt B.E.R. wrecks.

Adam,

I have one of these. Back in 2003 when they released them they were considered BER. Only a small number were sold off before they realised that most of them could actually be repaired. I don't think they had replacement chassis sections then, but now they do. There's a company in Turkey I believe who is building replacement xD chassis for the MoD. They are now doing dataplate rebuilds on them! The MoD do not have enough of them, which means there won't be any more released for quite some time.

Chris

Rab C Nesbitt and dodgy hatted/vested friend working on the yellow landrover! :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:The man with the head band became a major player in ex wd l/rovers.he had so many 101s at one time he wrote his name with them in a field and took an ariel shot of the event.This was a long way down the line from here,he nows lives in france but the company is still going.

He had probably the first 101 released in DPG with a twisted chassis which we straightened,it drew a crowd every event it went to an event..i drove it to an event which was for any vehicle that had the old buick engine at Donnington airfield.I had a top speed of 90mph confirmed by the Rover car acompanying us,it all went very quiet at that speed,i dont know how accurate it was but i was passing everything else.and of course there was no speed limit then.:-DWho is that man?NJ dont answer.:nono:

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:The man with the head band became a major player in ex wd l/rovers.he had so many 101s at one time he wrote his name with them in a field and took an ariel shot of the event.This was a long way down the line from here,he nows lives in france but the company is still going.

He had probably the first 101 released in DPG with a twisted chassis which we straightened,it drew a crowd every event it went to an event..i drove it to an event which was for any vehicle that had the old buick engine at Donnington airfield.I had a top speed of 90mph confirmed by the Rover car acompanying us,it all went very quiet at that speed,i dont know how accurate it was but i was passing everything else.and of course there was no speed limit then.:-DWho is that man?NJ dont answer.:nono:

I know,but i will leave it to someone else.

Hi all, a question.

when did the RAF Regiment field sqns (hereafter called the good guys!!) change from 110 Recce to WMIK?

As a admirer of the good guys, I would like a 110 to go with my 109"ffr when I have the spare cash, mind you, I do like a WMIK but at moment that is out of the window

All the best

Mark :cool:

Get yourself a MOBAT Unimog outfit as in the Humber pig thread, very unusual, and epic off-road!

First xD wolves were being built in 96, and rolled out to units early 97. WMIKS were built 98 by ricardos, and were being rolled out to units in 99.

The first unit to receive the new WMIK was the paras. WMIKs were first used in theatre in 2000 in sierra leone.

WMIK bits are available, I should know, I am building one. They are however extremely expensive and fairly hard to get hold of.

Yep initially Ricardos wouldnt build any more chassis for them, so anything with a bent chassis was cast, now oktar, a Turkish builder that builds land rovers under liscence won the rights to build wolf chassis, and so are selling them back to the MOD, who are rebuilding anything. If it really cant be rebuilt, then it is broken for spares, which go through private refurbishment companies like mentioned above. the 90 Wolf fleet is due to be retired in due course as it has been considered no use to the army any longer due to the increase in kit since bowman has come along. Dont get your hopes up of a sudden rush of 90 wolves on the market, they are all going to be rebuilt as 110 wolves, on the turkish chassis.......Hope that helps.

Edited by sas pinkie

Hey CW, whats this morphing into Lord Lucan:shocked:.........something you want to tell us:???

I thought it was a young Alan wicker:-D