Thor. I was only supposed to take the bl**dy doors off

thor698

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i recon:-D

but dorset will be a bigger one:-D

Hi Thor- I'll be camping for the weekend at Dorset, so I hope I'll see you there too. Unfortunately my Thor won't be ready this year/decade (I can feel a bit of a ribbing from Mr Fowler coming on...) but it will be nice to see an Explorer in just one piece. Perhaps have time for a beer? :idea: Re the TL12 manual- this is a longshot, but try Parry Davis who keeps all the manuals for the Scammell Register. parrydavis@aol.com. Cheers mate. BTW your Thor looks fantastic after the paintjob and panelwork. Nice one! :-D

Hi Thor- I'll be camping for the weekend at Dorset, so I hope I'll see you there too. Unfortunately my Thor won't be ready this year/decade (I can feel a bit of a ribbing from Mr Fowler coming on...) but it will be nice to see an Explorer in just one piece. Perhaps have time for a beer? :idea: Re the TL12 manual- this is a longshot, but try Parry Davis who keeps all the manuals for the Scammell Register. parrydavis@aol.com. Cheers mate. BTW your Thor looks fantastic after the paintjob and panelwork. Nice one! :-D

you will have to get thor done so after a few beers there will be 4 thors insted off 2:cool2:

i will try parry davis:idea:

Edited by thor698

• 1 month later...
Hmm TL12 is really an AEC AV 760T engine. The Leyland Marathon it was originally fitted to owed more to AEC than Leyland...

Best regards,

Richard.

and in the roadtrain.

leyland took the 760 and turbo charged it bosch pump heads ect and made the engine ahead of its time.

wow that really is easy:shocked:. We should start a bearing and seal numbers thread so we can order them before starting the job:idea:. How was your oil pump......better than all the bit's of mine i bet:cry:.

the oil pump was ok.

doesent the oil pump just pump oil around the oil cooler:confused:

We should start a bearing and seal numbers thread so we can order them before starting the job:idea:. QUOTE]

Good idea Rob ! :-D

my cousin has the numbers for all 3 pinion bearings he had to get new ones cos he dident check the oil and it was low. :nono:

will try and get numbers:-D

but i do know the price:sweat:

are you ready sit down and have a strong drink ready:shocked:

£1000

he only check his after i said my front bearing had a bit of movement

he will check his oils more often know i bet.

Right i'll try to find the old crank seals from the meadows engine. lucky i havent had to change any bearings.....Yet.

The oil pump squirts oil on to the worm and also lubes the rear bearing of the pinion. When working hard at slow speed the oil cam become very warm even with the cooler, The oil runs off the crown wheel before it reaches the top and the worm can run dry.

I have spoken to a man who runs a heavy recovery buisness and he himself is an ex REME mechanic and so are both his sons. He said he would never run without an oil cooler fitted for as a worm and wheel generate a large amount of friction and heat.

He sold his explorer and about 10 years later his wife bought it back as a pressent. unfortunatly the cooler had sufferd frost damage and been disconected. When the explorer arived at his house (having driven 100 odd mile he could feel the heat from the rear axle on his face and it sizzeled when he spat on it, the whole rear diff was was scrap!:shake:

So on this information i shall be running an oil cooler and a pump.