Thor. I was only supposed to take the bl**dy doors off

thor698

Erm, sort of, O ten to spend more time wiping the floor under my cars to mop up the various leaks!

I would love to lay claim to concours restorations but I have precious little experience with welding and fabrication (something that I am hoping to ammend). My forte is in taking things apart and then cooking up various outlandish (and stupid) ideas of how to put them back together again.

After having too many projects on the go for too long now though I am having a 'get them finished and shifted' drive to get them back on the road and in a saleable state asap. Then fill the void with something along the lines of a Commer Q4 that doesn't need much work as a play thing. I'll also keep hold of the 'Bratwurst' to have a go at some track days.

that's the plan anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It's either a training hammer:-D Or there is nothing wrong with his scammell but he feels the urge to hit it. I will happily swap my Scammell for his which will suit us both just fine. I will have a nice truck that works and he will have a Scammell that really does need hitting with a big hammer:-D

• 2 months later...

hi have been working to hard and havent had time to work on the truck:cry: so put new battierys on and took it for a spin:-D my boy will soon be big enough to drive it or put blocks on his feet:cool2:

004..jpg

003..jpg

002..jpg

• 3 months later...

went to a canford park show got there on friday night and had a lot of oil over the back of the truck and trailer. checked it on sunday(had to have a few beers on saterday) found the transfer box a bit low. so topped it up and drove home. took it apart last weekend with the help of a ten ton jack and a ten ton puller. and found the back bearing and the seal had gone past there sale date:-(

029.jpg

028.jpg

030.jpg

It never ends with a scammell!! Let us know the numbers and supplier of the new bearings seals if you could:-) Suppose you may as well sort that leaky hub seal while your at it, keep the oil off the brakes and all....safety first:cool2: Road legal and all that:-D

• 3 weeks later...
It never ends with a scammell!! Let us know the numbers and supplier of the new bearings seals if you could:-) Suppose you may as well sort that leaky hub seal while your at it, keep the oil off the brakes and all....safety first:cool2: Road legal and all that:-D

hi the bearing is a L-11V2 and come from express bearing (the easy one)

the seal was a bit harder to find

seal was 960310A new one was 960305A a bit smaller on the ID by 1.5mm but it seems ok.

And come from barnwell.

thats not a leaky hub seal thats all the oil from the transfer box(you should have seen the cars that was following me):cool2:

• 3 weeks later...

hi i have a volvo fl7 viscous fan on my truck and when it gets hot you can still turn the fan easy the same as when its cold. there is a nut on the viscous would that tighten it up:confused::confused:

Ahh the old viscous fan problem:embarrassed: loats of old shoguns suffer this problem. the fan hub will fail either unlocked or usuall locked its to do with the goo inside going off or leaking out. have a googe about viscous fan oil but i'm sure it is hugely expensive for a tiny amount. there is a bi metal spring that controls the fan in the center of the hub. and easy way to check if the hub is working is have someone cold start the engine while you look and listen to the fan. Start up and then put some revs on the fan should run at full speed and roar with the wind, after a few monents it will "unlock" and the fan should go into free wheel mode if you are really brave you can stop a car one with your fingers:shocked: As the air through the rad warms up usually when stationary or off roading the bimetal valve will allow fluid transfer within the hub and the unit will lock and the fan can be heard roaring at revs. You may be able to heat the bi metal up with a hot air gun and see if it the locks the hub. only way to lock it is to drill it and blot it up i ithink, like i did on the pajero costs more in fuel running that huge fan all the time and a fan that big will sap about 6 to 6 hp at full chat:shocked:

Is your rad getting hot enough to engage the hub?

the fan has been on there for ten years and has run at 180. the last 2 shows i have been to it is running at 200+ and when you stop. the fan is easy to turn the same as when cold. there is no oil leaks on the fan. so what would that nut with like a bolt on the inside be for.