Storage in Gloucestershire

Adrian

Who would be interested in Storage in the Gloucester/Stroud area?

I am seriously looking into arranging some secure long term storage (undercover if possible) and obviously if there were a few of us it would widen the possibilities. So far there is three of us who would like better storage for our military/classic vehicles and if I knew the demand could look for a suitable yard, or barn.

Alternatively if anyone knows a suitable place please let me know!

Cheers,

Adrian

I possibly could be, depending on cost. I have a 3 tonne lorry with a box body on the rear, overall height is around 3m (give or take).

Will there be power/light, and can we carry out work (such as respraying) on site?

I possibly could be, depending on cost. I have a 3 tonne lorry with a box body on the rear, overall height is around 3m (give or take).

Will there be power/light, and can we carry out work (such as respraying) on site?

The idea is that we have a communal storage area where we can work on the vehicles so yes; light and power would be a goal. Obviously the more people we can get on board the more we could achieve. My first choice would be a barn or out-building on a farm so noise would not be an issue. I currently have a few leads to chase but demand will dictate what is affordable.

The farm where I currently store my vehicle is in an urban area and adequate for the restoration but the locals in the recent development next to the yard have complained about everything from unsightly vehicles to noise of farm machinery (begs the question why move next to a farm:???). The result is a move around of the vehicles but to get the Diamond T out I will have to pass near the houses and I am sure the complaints will result in me having to move it in the long term.

Where abouts are you currently based?

A

Currently got the corner of a farmyard in North Bristol. Obviously this side of Gloucester would be preferable for me!

The yard where I am at the moment is OK as I can do what I want, but it's prone to flooding and the vehicle is exposed to wind/rain quite badly. It is, however, secure.

Currently got the corner of a farmyard in North Bristol. Obviously this side of Gloucester would be preferable for me!

Yes, between Gloucester and Bristol is the goal. I am in Stroud so looking locally at the halfway point as a start. I will let you know what we find.

Cheers,

A

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So far there are;

Two yards very close to where I live (they are side by side). These have not been used in some time and one has a garage, which although a bit run down is repairable. Sufficient for about 7-8 vehicles plus working space if organised properly. I have made enquiries as to ownership and are waiting for a reply. A search for planning permission over the past 50m years shows nothing so I will need to go in to the local council offices.

The Farm where my vehicle is currently stored has little options but the farm is split into two sections. There may be options here but it would not involve under-cover storage.

Two other farm buildings have been spotted, and then there is the wider area.

Papav66 - what do you have and what are your requirements?

Cheers,

A

• 4 months later...
any news on this?

i am in Dursley and once I get a truck then storage with work facility would be good :)

Hi there, sorry for not replying sooner but I have only just spotted your post.

I have investigated a number of redundant spaces in the Stroud vicinity, especially a local yard which has been derelict for some time. It has a workshop in the centre and room for probably 20-30 vehicles plus the undercover storage/facilities. This was bough a number of years ago (it seems to the annoyance of the adjacent haulage company who were out-bid) and then left to rot. I have gone through the obvious routes but it now looks like a visit to the council to find out who owns it. The problem here is we would need a good few more vehicles to make it pay, whether to buy or rent. Then again the workshop would easily take an M26 Pacific so it would be appealing.

I am still going through the farms in the area but working away has hindered progress, so watch this space.

What Vehicle are you thinking of getting?

that sounds cool.

Don't know what truck yet. been looking at the SUMB as it is affordable to buy in petrol form but a Jimmy sounds much better when you talk multifuel :)

Was up at Kemble Saturday and had a chat to a couple of people which was good.

• 4 months later...

Hi Andy,

No luck with finding storage yet but Adrian is starting to talk to the council to see if they can help. There seems to be a reasonable number of people who would like storage in this area. Just need to find somewhere that isn't a ridiculous price!

Cheers

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, from the top.

There is an abandoned yard, previously used for commercial vehicle storage and maintenance near to where I live. It has not been used for about 10 years and is overgrown and the fencing has been torn down by kids. The workshop is in deed of some urgent attention but should be able to be secured with little effort. Edd and I have done a reccie and we reckon that 15-20 vehicles could easily be stored on site, hopefully with no problems on the planning front.

I have approached the council with our requirements and made it clear that this type of storage is in demand, after all we want a secure place to work on and store our vehicles without risk of interference from vandals and nimby’s (plenty of those around here:mad:). In fairness to them they do appear to be sympathetic.

I have obtained the planning history for the yard and the Land Registry are currently searching for the current owners. I have been informed that is not earmarked for housing so there should be a good chance that we could rent or alternatively depending on the price a few of us have discussed the possibility of purchasing the yard as a dedicated storage for historic vehicles.

Adjacent to the yard is a HGV training school so there should be no complaints regarding traffic or noise, as there is also a busy railway which runs next to the yard too, and no MV will make as much noise as a goods train passing at 60mph!

I will keep you informed,

A

Edited by Adrian

• 5 months later...

We are still looking but not having much luck at the moment. The yard we were looking at it was offered to us but it needed an awful lot of work and the owners were only prepared to give us a short lease. For the amount that needed to be invested it needed at least a 3 year lease to make it worthwhile. Will update on this thread if we find somewhere of interest.

Regards

Ed

Hi, yes as Edd said the yard we were looking at was not feasible. They wanted a rolling 6 months lease, which considering the fencing and gates needed work and the workshop was of no use due to the roof being unserviceable meant we could not realistically pursue it. I offered to purchase a section of the yard outrigint but they apparently have long term plans for it so declined.

The search goes on.

A