Becketts doing Normandy..the invasion begins...

Jack

Well this is a first for the Beckett family... :shock: we are off on holiday for a week next month and we have never been away so what better place to start then Normandy and we are staying at Ivy House, Ste Marie du Mont.

It goes without saying that we can't wait, hell we all looking forward to that! 8)

Best wishes.

Jack.

We went there last year - again first time abroad as a family and with the caravan. We stayed at a site called "Le Cormoran" at Ravenoville Plage - just down the road from St Mere Eglise. Some excellent museums around there - both Allied and German regarding UTAH beach.

Looking forwards to going back again to do the British and Canadian beaches next time!!!

Some photo's here if anyones interested: http://community.webshots.com/album/427317615opKpYv

The Port-en-Bessin apartment is booked and waiting for Mrs Spood and myself later in the year, a nice chill out after getting our War Wheels show over. I can't wait. First call the newly opened gun battery at Grandcamp Maisy. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Bags are packed. Maps are packed and we are out of here at 07:00 tomorrow 8)

Now I expect every one to behave and to do their chores whilst I am away and there will be a full kit inspection when I get back :shock:

Take care and see you in a week or so 8)

Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all.

We are back 8) and what a hell of a week we had :shock: 8) :D

I can see that Steve from Ivy House has joined and I hope he becomes a regular as this gentlemans knowledge of the Normandy invasion is second to none and I will right a report later....but here is a taster of what's to come and the beach scenes were even before we got to Ivy House :shock:

Utah Beach - filming in progress

STA41921.jpg

STA41939.jpg

STA41932.jpg

STA41942.jpg

STA41943.jpg

STA41945.jpg

STA41948.jpg

Military fair

STA41975.jpg

STA41977.jpg

Jack,

I'm glad you had a good week with us, it was great to meet you and your family and we're looking forward to seeing you again in October.

I got another addition to the Museum today, a German Panzerfaust in semi-relic condition which I've cleaned up, can't fit much more in the cabinets!

A quick plug: We welcome MV Owners, Colelctors & Reenactors, if you own an MV or contact us via HMVF and want to stay at Ivy House you will automatically get a 10% Discount. We are only a few minutes walk from the beach and you can sit in the garden and see dunes an bunkers while you have a BBQ!

In one of our outbuildings I have put my collection of weapons, uniforms and equipment on display which includes a lot of relics found in the area such as a US Paratrooper's Cricket, a Tellermine and an MG42, we have also built a home cinema for our guests so you can watch your favourite films in the evenings, needless to say we have Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan on film!

Right plug over!

Steve

Just lucky really MM as we were looking for Ivy House and saw a Dodge and a Jeep so that was it, we were out of the car and spent a hour watching these guys......then someone mentioned that we better find where we were staying :oops:

.....I thought to myself that this was a great start to our holiday 8)