RTA at shows?

rambo1969

I keep reading 'road traffic laws apply on site'.

However, I was of the understanding that as it's private land the RTA does NOT apply.

I have heard that if the public have access then the RTA applies, BUT, in hornchurch, essex the have an area where under age drivers can pay and drive, this is a private area.

When I was younger, my mates dad bought a field and we used to ride our motorbikes there, the police NEVER arrested/warned any of us.

Your thoughts?

If the public in general have access the RTA applies. If it's closed site, and it's used for events like cart racing that's ok. I checked all this out last year, as someone locally got nicked in a show site for not having insurance. He also go a warning, as he was driving back from the beer tent. He was told, if he drove any further he would be breath tested.

RTA applies without a doubt. But what are the chances for getting pulled for something like over weight or over width?

Licensing, insurance, test, and drink driving are a given as definate offences. Police could probably have a field day at most shows if they were so minded. Probably wouldn't do much for their popularity however. It'd most likely only come about if there's a complaint from a member of public or heaven forbid an accident.

I thin the place Rambo is talking about is the Cardrome over at Hornchurch.

IIRC there is no age limit there as there is if you go to a driving school and need the provisional license. Provided the learner is accompanied by a qualified driver then thats it - I've seen people sitting beside children who could not be more than 13 or 14 over there. Provided the driver can reach all the controls there seems to be no restrictions?

I thin the place Rambo is talking about is the Cardrome over at Hornchurch.

IIRC there is no age limit there as there is if you go to a driving school and need the provisional license. Provided the learner is accompanied by a qualified driver then thats it - I've seen people sitting beside children who could not be more than 13 or 14 over there. Provided the driver can reach all the controls there seems to be no restrictions?

They've tightened things up there now.. I remember driving over there 35 years ago...

http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/9136/driving.htm

My interpretation of 'land which the public have access to' is areas such as show sites, ie, private land which the public is invited onto, either paying or for free. A farmer's field, for instance, a private piece of land where the public are not invited onto and which is practically impossible to prevent unauthorised access, would not come under the auspices of the RTA.

My understanding, I'm no lawyer.

My interpretation of 'land which the public have access to' is areas such as show sites, ie, private land which the public is invited onto, either paying or for free. A farmer's field, for instance, a private piece of land where the public are not invited onto and which is practically impossible to prevent unauthorised access, would not come under the auspices of the RTA.

My understanding, I'm no lawyer.

Public footpaths, and right to roam land probably complicates this even further. A lot of private land is unfenced so this can hardly be said to prevent public access.

I wouldn't rely on a fence or wall getting you clear of the lawyers.