De-Ac ownership.

Rick W

Question

Seem to remember this question cropping up on another forum,.............and if I remember rightly, the concensus is loss of deac cert is bad news if you've an early deac..........to gat another cert, it'd have to be brought up to 'new' deac spec,.........ie very few moving parts.

No doubt, if I've remembered wrongly, someone will post.........:)

Correct, in a case like that just rely on the proof marks

Be a b*gger if that is the case - although given the mentality of the countrys "leaders" it probably is the case.... :(:(

It's because pre 95 deacs are easy to reactivate Neil, that's why the specs were brought in, if you have something re-proofed it has to comply with current legislation..

That seems to be ths daft part of the legislation. If any De Ac is 'Easy' to reconvert, why allow them in the first place? I belive it is supposed not to be 'Easy' with hand tools. But if some little Oik can make a gun out of gas pipe, a stable bolt and a couple of rubber bands, surley that is a case for encouraging 'replicas' that can never be used to fire anything?

That seems to be ths daft part of the legislation. If any De Ac is 'Easy' to reconvert, why allow them in the first place? I belive it is supposed not to be 'Easy' with hand tools. But if some little Oik can make a gun out of gas pipe, a stable bolt and a couple of rubber bands, surley that is a case for encouraging 'replicas' that can never be used to fire anything?

Guess thats why legislation/rules were changed/tightened up, Tony.

I guess the more modern de-acts, AK's /SA80's etc are more easily recognised by the general populus,....due to news coverage of the current war zones, that guns of earlier conflicts,...........

Again no expert but i thought you dont need a certificate but the weapon has to have proof marks,i know it makes sense to have a certificate just a point,anybody.?

To clarify: You DO need the cert or at least a copy (If a copy, make sure it has the word COPY accross it in highlighter. If you dont it could be miscronstrued as a forgery) because Plod has been told to look for this. He doesnt know the intracsies of proof marks.

Catution: It is an offence (Imprisonable) to have a replica/ deact/ airsoft weapon in a public place without lawfull authority or reasonable excuse.

IE: As part of a historical display. Recruiting, Poppy Day collection Etc.

Pulic liability insurance is also a very good idea if you do displays.

Mike

To clarify: You DO need the cert or at least a copy (If a copy, make sure it has the word COPY accross it in highlighter. If you dont it could be miscronstrued as a forgery) because Plod has been told to look for this. He doesnt know the intracsies of proof marks.

Catution: It is an offence (Imprisonable) to have a replica/ deact/ airsoft weapon in a public place without lawfull authority or reasonable excuse.

IE: As part of a historical display. Recruiting, Poppy Day collection Etc.

Pulic liability insurance is also a very good idea if you do displays.

Mike

Mike a deac certificate is NOT a legal requirement, I'll dig out my copy of Firearms Act Guidance for Chief Constables & quote the paragraph...

It is a legal requirement (VCR Act) to have PLI for a RIF on display..

It's because pre 95 deacs are easy to reactivate Neil, that's why the specs were brought in, if you have something re-proofed it has to comply with current legislation..

Sorry-but it's stupid statements like that, that get us all into trouble. You might consider it easy to reactivate one. If the press etc read that, they will print it. It would involve a lot of work (and some serious machinery) to reactivate even an old spec weapon. Just because it's easier than the new spec, doesn't mean it is easy! any competent engineer would find it much easier to make a weapon from scratch, rather than messing around with a load of butchered and welded up metal.

Sorry-but it's stupid statements like that, that get us all into trouble. You might consider it easy to reactivate one. If the press etc read that, they will print it. It would involve a lot of work (and some serious machinery) to reactivate even an old spec weapon. Just because it's easier than the new spec, doesn't mean it is easy! any competent engineer would find it much easier to make a weapon from scratch, rather than messing around with a load of butchered and welded up metal.

It's common knowledge what is what is & isn't easy to reactivate.. I was pointing out why legislation was brought in to update the deac specs...

Quite simply, treat as real. Cover when carried, don't flash about and have certificates with you. I'd rather drown them in paperwork there and then. There is an old nomonic to aggrevate a crime take the WIFE, Weapon , Imitation firearm, Firearm, Explosive. Don't Aggrevate!