De-Ac ownership.

Rick W

Question

i notify the local police of events i am attending at and inform them that i have deacts and a blank firer on board my vehicle plus i always carry the certificates with me

main reason for this is if the local police stop you they would call firearms unit first then ask questions later

plus when the guns are being transported then are covered and not in public view

the blank firer is locked in a seperate case

Lee's right, Rick,re no licence needed,........just make sure you have your

de-act certificate(s) with you, when showing carrying said items.............also, a good point made by David, when in transit, if poss cover them up,................(easy with a rifle, ect,..........harder I guess with a 25pdr.......)

Also, slightly off tangent, but bear with me,......:-D if you intend to show kit off vehicle, I'd get yourself some PLI insurance sorted out;..........the vehicle insurance doesn't Normally cover items not attached to vehicle,..........also if someone trips over/drops kit on feet/ etc........:whistle:

(Shooters Rights do a good one,.............I use them)

Hey, Jack,..........is it worth approaching some such organisation and seeing if - with the power of HMVF, some sort of deal could be worked out,.........as, and I'm guessing here, quite a few of us do cover ourselves at present. :-D Just an idea........

No licence need, no need to notify anyone, keep it covered up or removed when on public roads... & keep using your cash card for withdrawals.. it's safer:coffee:

I don't even have to notify anyone when towing my LIVE MOBAT & 25pdr

Biggest danger with the 25 pounder is stopping idiots getting under the barrel when being towed. You brake they get a noseful of muzzle brake. Remeber that certain classes of air weapons don't need a licence, and the idiots changed the law so that rapid fire BB guns could be sold to kids. So the law is an ass. Keep a copy of the De-Ac certificate with you, cover the weapon, Specifically the trigger! in public. Leave it at home when visiting the bank! If asked by the Police or any other 'Official' asks you to show them in a public place REFUSE!!!!!!!!!! Tell them you will take them out of there cases and show them, In a NON PUBLIC PLACE!

Honestly the law only states the 'Trigger mechanism'. Goes back to those happy days when pistols were legal and could be carried in a holster. Best thing is a couple of black plastic bags, then no one knows what you are carrying, a rifle slip is rather distinctive .

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
The whole weapon... unless you like being shot at:shake:

I wasnt suggesting it would be a good idea not to cover up Lee.

i also have all pioneer tools bolted on because sure as eggs are eggs

one day i am going to be told how easy it would be for someone to use one of them as a weapon,pos against me,then i can invite them to do so.

i think if a succesfull case can be brought against us ,ie carrying what could be offensive weapons,it will be ,So dont make it easy,bolt up.:-D

If you're carrying a copy of the deact certificate mark it COPY

Again no expert but i thought you dont need a certificate but the weapon has to have proof marks,i know it makes sense to have a certificate just a point,anybody.?

The important wording in a lot of legislation is 'Good Reason' - If you are going to an organised event, know the adress and name of the place and who the organiser is. Entry forms etc are very useful. Normally if your stopped it will be for some other reason, such as a dead bulb, or pure curiosity.

19 Carrying firearm in a public place A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

(a)a loaded shot gun,

(b)an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

©any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d)an imitation firearm

As Snapper point out 'You to prove'. almost unique in english law. you ARE guilty prove inoccence. Hence as much oficial paperwork with you as possible. As for marking De Ac copys clearly . Makes god sense .

Note the wording on the bottom of all De Ac Certificates: Forging a de-activation certificate could constitue an offence under the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981.

On that note - and to satisfy idle curiosity only - what's needed to replace a mislaid deac certificate?? Can you just represent the deac to an approved source (i.e. an armourers) or what??

Yes but it will cost you about £40.. maybe more now? but a deac cert is not a legal requirement, you're ok if the proof marks a clearly visable..

Thanks Lee - with 3 PKT's floating about it's always nice to be sure about the certificates!! :):)

As long as the work was carried out by Birmingham or London proof houses you will be ok.. You had them deactivated to order, right? then you must know the armourer & would think he would have a copy of the certs..

Yes but it will cost you about £40.. maybe more now? but a deac cert is not a legal requirement, you're ok if the proof marks a clearly visable..

Oi i asked that:-D

As long as the work was carried out by Birmingham or London proof houses you will be ok.. You had them deactivated to order, right? then you must know the armourer & would think he would have a copy of the certs..

Correct for 10 points sir!! :) Thats why I said I was asking out of idle curiosity!! :)

On that note - and to satisfy idle curiosity only - what's needed to replace a mislaid deac certificate?? Can you just represent the deac to an approved source (i.e. an armourers) or what??

Seem to remember this question cropping up on another forum,.............and if I remember rightly, the concensus is loss of deac cert is bad news if you've an early deac..........to gat another cert, it'd have to be brought up to 'new' deac spec,.........ie very few moving parts.

No doubt, if I've remembered wrongly, someone will post.........:)