when were dif light introduced?

rippo

I've been looking at the wiring diagram in my manual for the bedford and i dosen't show a dif light. I noticed this as i've just come across a wiring digram plate for under the bonnet and this does show it but the headlights are also shown with blackout covers. I think the plate i have is off a slightly later mw, to the manual i have.

Were they fitted as part of the blackout regs?

I've been looking at the wiring diagram in my manual for the bedford and i dosen't show a dif light. I noticed this as i've just come across a wiring digram plate for under the bonnet and this does show it but the headlights are also shown with blackout covers. I think the plate i have is off a slightly later mw, to the manual i have.

Were they fitted as part of the blackout regs?

It is known as the convoy lamp. Just looking a the Jan. 1940 Bedford workshop manual and they were not fitted then, so must have been introduced slightly later. It would not be part of blackout regulations, as that would cover civilian vehicles as well, it was more of a military thing, as it allowed vehicles to space themselves safely in darkness when rear lamps were switched off whilst on convoy. If you are correct distance, the lamp under the body shone on the diff or some other part beneath the vehicle or trailer, if it could not be seen then you were probably too close!

It is known as the convoy lamp.

On the Data plate i can just make out rear axle lamp. I think i have the same manual as you, has yours the red and cream cover?

On the first page it quotes the contract numbers it covers for each vehicle. V3711, T8102 and T7729 for the Mw's, from your records richard would you be able to tell me how many were ordered. I'm trying to work out where abouts on the chassis numbers contract V3733 started. Or can you see how many orders were placed for mw's before V3733?

i have the same manual as you, has yours the red and cream cover?

On the first page it quotes the contract numbers it covers for each vehicle. V3711, T8102 and T7729 for the Mw's, from your records richard would you be able to tell me how many were ordered. I'm trying to work out where abouts on the chassis numbers contract V3733 started. Or can you see how many orders were placed for mw's before V3733?

I seem to have lost a post here, so will do it again :-(

My book sounds the same one, but one contract number does not match up, I have V3733, T8102 and T7729.

Census no's for contacts are;

T7729 Z3927393 to 3928411

T8102 Z4144914 to 4146413

V3733 Z4173216 to 4176715 this one is for GS and Water tanker, if you have the contract plate, does it have 31 or 32 on it?

There is no contract no V3711 for MW's that I can find.

sorry my mistake it should be V3733.

Altogether that makes just over 6000 vehicles and my chassis number is 10000 so there must be some more contracts before thoes. I there anyway of finding those? I'll have a read through bart vanderveens book tomorrow see what contract numbers he quotes in there. I think the first order was for 50.

Just out of intrest why have some contract numbers got a V and some a T at the start?

this plate?

100_0621.jpg

Edited by rippo

Usually there is a small plate on the top of the instrument panel, from memory, it just shows the contract no. and ref. no. Maybe not on yours, if it is an early one, although going by the census numbers, it is not early. One thing, I may have mentioned before, Chassis no's on Bedfords, rarely seem to run in order of Census numbers, which does not help research.

On the dash the early ones have the hovis tin civilian type chassis plate with the chassis number and the engine number on, even maurices has this and his is in the first thousand. The smaller type plates you mention, i seem to recall on later mw's, i think my dad had one on his 1944 and sirhc has the remains of one his and thats a 43. It seems to tie in with the shortage of materials to.

100_0854.jpg

Production of contract V3733 started in may 1940 so it's not to late on. I suppose compared with the morris's it is but production of the mw's didn't start till late 1939.

Edited by rippo

• 4 weeks later...