WW2 U.S. Data Plates - Zinc or Brass ????

N.O.S.

Question

10 answers to this question

I think pre-war and early World War II the American data plates were brass and late war they were zinc ,Here's a reason brass might have been scarce late in the war just one of countless scrape metal dumps, From The Life magazine site .

scrapmetal.jpg

any one want to hazard a guess as to the weight of all this ?

answer will be given after the tenth guess

The only remaining and somewhat corroded data plate on my late Ward La France M1A1 is the boom capacity plate.

Definately original and brass. These would have been used in 1944 at the earliest as all previous models used a different boom. So some brass was available for plates up to the end of the war.

Seems it could have been a local supply issue that determined zinc or brass plates.

There are some strange contradictions in the only area that I know anything about (British WD motorcycles). Pre-war and into 1941 or so, the specification tags on Lucas Magdynos and Smiths speedos were aluminium and the contract plates were brass.

Presumably to save aluminium on the first two, they changed to brass but the contract plates were altered from brass to steel !

Willyslanc has hit the nail on the head as they say.

I think he peek at the Life mag site :shocked:

Still a mind boggling amount of material , The total use of brass for all military uses must have been a Huge amount !!! (Dont ask me I dont know the figure.)