Land Rover 300Tdi Injectors Replacement

sirhc

I have bought a new set of injectors for the Wolf. I managed to get the first one out really easily, but none of the others will budge. I've tried a slide hammer and still no luck. Does anyone have any tips for removing these damn things?!

Thanks,

Chris

Norman,

Yes I've tried that, and it had no effect!

Chris

Did you manage to get everything undone and try it whilst the engine was still hot?

That would make a difference, higher compression and more clearance around the injectors in theory.

As the area of the tip of the injector is probably less than 1/16 of a square inch the pressure on the end, even allowing for up to 700psi when running would only give about 40lbs of force.

As suggested warm the engine, soak with penetrating oil, and try again with a slide hammer. If this fails I would suggest a new head, or a good secondhand one. If new then buy an OEM one, as the repro ones often require more machining than the price difference covers!

Good luck!

Jules

surly if they can't be pulled free on the cylinder head then if the cylinder head were removed they could be driven out ?

I'm sure that's what I'd try. If you've got new injectors and the old ones are effectively scrap then nothing to belost in trying to drive them out. Worst case scenario is you need a replacement head anyway.

Hopefully you don't have to resort to such methods Chris.

Edited by Stormin
Spelling

I was thinking we could make an extractor using some threaded rod and a tube. Screw it into the top of the injector, then wind the nut down and hopefully pull it out that way. I'll get it hot first and see what that does. I don't really want to have to take the head off if I can help it.

Chris