Know this vehicle?

Richard Farrant

My brother has been trying out a new photo scanner and found some 35mm slides he took in the 1970's. The first one here, is a Bedford OY, that used to turn up regularly at the Sellindge steam rally. In those days, military vehicles were rare at this event. I think it came from the Eastbourne area, anyone recognise it or know who owned it? The date was 1974, I think.

Sellindge%201974[1].jpg

The battle of Molash eh, i am sure i was there with Rob that day Richard as some where i have some B/W shots of the event. Interesting that he has a adaptor for his scanner to load slides i have one for slides and neqs but damned if i can fiqure it out i shall have to give him a ring to see hows its done afraid i find the quickest and easiest way to learn is parrot fashion the manuals are OK but have so much you dont really want in them its easy to lose track

cheers

Les

hi richard, the only person that i know,remember is cyril groombridge he still has his today

regards

The turretless Stuarts around at this time were probably from Pounds yard, and were fitted with fake turrets for the film "Dirty Dozen" Tony Oliver has one in his "History on wheels museum"

The turretless Stuarts around at this time were probably from Pounds yard, and were fitted with fake turrets for the film "Dirty Dozen" Tony Oliver has one in his "History on wheels museum"

Hi Nick,

I knew a dealer in Sussex who only in recent years had five of them, all sold to collectors now though. Think one was mocked up and used in 633 Squadron.

Hi Nick,

I knew a dealer in Sussex who only in recent years had five of them, all sold to collectors now though. Think one was mocked up and used in 633 Squadron.

There was one in it's evil twin - Mosquito Squadron. They put a big gun in the turret and panzerised it.

Hi Richard,

How recent could it be when you mention a mid-1960s film in the same sentence? Or is it that time flies when you´re having fun? :-)

- Hanno

Hi Richard,

How recent could it be when you mention a mid-1960s film in the same sentence? Or is it that time flies when you´re having fun? :-)

- Hanno

Hi Hanno,

Time flies.....there is no doubt on that. I understand one of the M5 Stuart gun tractors was in that film. The five laid around for some years, but they would have all sold within the last eight years.

Turretless tanks could have been used as kangaroos (infantry inside, like a halftrack).

You don't get many infantrymen inside a Stuart! These were all as Richard says, 17 pdr gun towers, a post war British conversion. I don't think many M5A1 Stuarts were converted to recce tanks by the British army, most of those seemed to be the M3A3 which is what it mostly had at the time.