Weather

Degsy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I woke this morning to find a police car with its lights flashing in my front garden :shocked: after I had got used to the light (or lack of it) outside I also noticed that there were several bods wondering around in hi-viz clothing and hard hats. It then became apparent lots of Southern water vans were dotted about! Curiosity got the better of me so I donned my dressing gown and boots and went to speak with Mr Police man. Thats when I spotted the huge hole!!!!!!!! A sewer pipe has burst outside taking a large chunk of road with it!!!!!!

At this moment in time 10pm on Monday night, I can see about 4 hard hat heads bobbing around in the hole digging with spades :-D. Our road is closed but luckily we can have access to our homes, ours is the last house you can get to going down the road otherwise if you want to get to the East side of the Island you have to go via the side roads.

I am well aware of other people suffering much much worse in the country, hope everyone is managing to keep dry.

:n00b: Now you can't just describe it without any photo's.

Come on...

Will there be any moles to catch when it dries out? Do they have a trick, apart from sitting on top of their molehills?

Bernard,

moles have 2 sets of tunnels, the surface tunnels that link the molehills and somewhere in that tunnel system useally on a rise or near a hedge they will have a vertical shaft up to 4 foot deep where they have another set of tunnels, this is where they have their nest and it is also where they go when its wet, cold or very dry, they just follow the worms, as they have to eat twice their own body weight in worms every day :-D

regards

A possibly sobering thought for those in Cumbria - a reporter commented today on one of the news channels (can't recall which one - I was channel hopping) that if the Gov't had not flogged off all the bridging equipment the Army had that had been in storage a lot of the problems with river crossings could have been solved in the interim quickly and cheaply.......

The BBC are reporting that Mabey and Johnson Ltd are being consulted: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/8376602.stm which does rather suggest the army can't help out.

More on military bridging here: http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=10038