Lubricants for GPW jeep

It has probably been answered a hundred times before and there are threads on here somewhere but can't seem to find them.

With reference to the G503 lube chart etc. What are (modern) british equivalent types of oil and lubricants that will be compatible with the jeep -e.g. engine oils, gear box, transfer case and axle oils etc

I don't want to relube and change oils etc to find that I have used wrong type that will rot or melt seals etc. Jeep previously from California and never been serviced here until now

Thanks

Gary

Graham,

The synchro works better with Straight 90, no extreme pressure additives to stop the friction cones from doing what they ought to.....also does not effect the yellow metal, (bronze, brass).

thanks richard,

it does scrunch a bit from 1st to 2nd sometimes, the oils been in there over 3yrs so i hope its not eroded too much yellow metal away :sweat:

regards

• 3 years later...
Richard

Looking through threads for some clues which oil will be best to use for the axles on a Hotchkiss jeep, is this something like?

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=090.961

Hi Hoppy,

That is the correct grade, EP90, but a bit more expensive than going to a motor factor or agricultural dealer.

Hello after having the rear diff rebuilt for my WC54 by Rex Ward he explained that ep90 is what he recommends for dodge axles as no bronze in the diff and the crown wheel and pinion will break the oil film of an ag90, and looking at my worn out pinion I'm going with his advice as I always used ag90. Definitely use ag90 in the gearbox and transfer case though as sure there is bronze in there.

Steve.

• 1 year later...