Crash information

Tony B

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Warlingham,+Surrey,+UK&daddr=saint+mary+cray+to:X1CY+Croydon&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3BCf7MmOlpeky-FYSRDwMdJR3-_yFWIwYU25FX0A&mra=pe&mrcr=1&sll=51.395011,-0.007074&sspn=0.492693,1.203003&ie=UTF8&ll=51.34584,0.022316&spn=0.13553,0.362549&z=12

If you choose to view the map in "Terrain" format, there is a noticable ridge half a mile south of Warlington. I am just guessing this will be the site of the crash.

Edited by antarmike

I wonder if though he was aiming for Croydon, with fog there might have been a diversion to Biggin Hill? As you can see from the map Biggin is only a few minutes flying away. The ground around Warligham is steep. Gatwick is south of the crash area. Wonder why the rest of the casualties are not buried in the same place.

Google earth co-ordinates Cemetery 51 23.39.40 N- 0 07 25.47 E

Walingham 51 18 34.12 N - 0 0316.94 W

I'll try and locate the crash site and get some photos. Much thanks to all of you.

Edited by Tony B

Mike,

The postcode of the original terminal building is CRO OXZ, put that in to the search on Google map and that will pinpoint the aerodrome.

I put in "Former Croydon Airfield", and it gave me a location., Checking against Map of "Croydon Airfield Visitors Centre" it's not far off target. Visitors centre is the old Terminal Building. Terminal building is slightly to the east, beside Purley Way.

Edited by antarmike